Further Understanding a Common Basis of Visa Denial
There could be several reasons for a visa refusal or denial. In case the consulate refuses your visa, you should get a form with a refusal clause/reason.
Other then the submitted documents, it is up to consular officers at U.S. embassies and consulates to determine eligibility on an individual basis on the merits of each case.
Most of the cases refusal for H1 visa (221g) can be just because of any documents missing or any additional information required by the consulate. See a sample of 221g document.
What is 221(g)?
Applicants are ineligible under section 221(g) because the applicant failed to bring some information or document, or some further procedure or review by the consulate office or another U.S. government agency must be completed. During the interview the consular will advice you on further steps to getting together the correct documents. Call or visit your nearest US consulate to find out more.
I have got a 221g refusal. What do I do?
The officer will hand you over a 221g form with instructions and information about the additionally required information.
Follow these instructions for a 221(g) refusal form and provide as per the instructions.
In addition to just the missing documents, another reason could be that the officer/consulate wants to verify your case specifics with concerned authorities before making the decision and such cases can be put under "Administrative Processing".
If you have been requested to wait until the Consulate contacts you, please do not make an appointment. Your case requires further administrative processing and the Consulate will contact you once this has been completed.
Process for 221g case specific to Chennai India
- If you have applied in Chennai and were issued a 221(g) letter and asked to come back when you are prepared with all the required documents, please do not make an appointment. You may appear at the Consulate on any working Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday in the morning (between 10:00 and 12:00). If your visa was not issued under section 221(g), you are required to fill out a new application form when you reapply.
- If your interview in Chennai is for the same visa and is within one year of the 221g refusal, you will not be required to pay another application fee. However, you are required to fill out a new application form.
- If you have applied at one of the embassies or consulates outside of India, and have been refused under section 221(g) and you are instructed to reapply in Chennai, please make an appointment on the website - www.vfs-usa.co.in to come in for your next interview. You will be required to pay the application fee and to fill out a new application form.
- If your visa was denied under section 221(g) at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, or the Consulates General in Mumbai or Kolkatta, and you are instructed to reapply in Chennai, you must complete the following steps to be seen for an interview in Chennai.
- Provide your information to the Consulate's authorized courier agent, VFS.
- After providing your information to one of the authorized offices above, appear at the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai on any working Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Please bring an electronic copy of DS-156 (please click here for a copy of DS -156 form)
Get more information at: