close

Thread: which eatables are allowed to carry to us???

Question which eatables are allowed to carry to us???

Hi,
    I tried to search the web to find out the answer that what eatables are allowed to carry in us??? which are legal. since my mother in law is coming and she wants to carry somethings like (gond, giri, etc.)
    Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Thumbs down

You cannot bring the following foods,

Pickles,
    Yogurt,
    fruits,
    vegetables,
    Idly,
    Dosa, (any fermented foods),
    Rice,
    Chutny,
    Sweets,
    etc.,

All the above foods have bacteria in them.
    At the port of entry they check these and don't allow them.

When they give you send off in India your relatives must have given a bunch of flowers. Throw these flowers in the trash. These flowers also carry bacteria.

You can carry Choclates, chewing gum, Biscuits, etc., (these are acceptable as they don't have bacteria in them).

thank u bommareddi.
    can I get list of such items which can,t be brought here??

I think you can carry masala powder (but no ginger garlic paste), chilli powder, turmeric, salt etc.,

When I first came to US (in 1999) I carried pickles, sweets etc., but no one stopped me.

But the scenario might have changed now. There is increased scrutiny due to Terrorism etc., (I haven't travelled outside USA since 2000)

Every time someone comes from India they get Pulla Reddy Sweets for me.

Whatever I mentioned in the earlier post are rules but you can break the rules.

I visited India last December .I carried pickles and other sweets .I didnt find any problem .I travelled 2 year back and on my return i got pickles .US security checked my baggage .But they didnt say anything...
    So i think its ok to carry pickles ...

Hi,
    can I bring ediable gum from india. Please advice.

My parents recently visited US and they brought pickles, sweets, papad and some andhra snacks. They haven't faced any problem with that. But i heard some products like zeera, yogurt are strict no no. But things may vary with person who is going through your stuff.

yeah even I was about to say the same, I came to US in 2002 and got lots of pickles (yummy) and tons of other stuff and they just asked me what all was I carrying, and I said pickles, masale, etc and they let me go.

Check out the website (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...estricted.xml), I have posted some info for your convenience

Food Products (Prepared)
    You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States. The APHIS web site features a Travelers Tips section and Game and Hunting Trophies section that offers extensive information about bringing food and other products into the country. Many prepared foods are admissible. However, almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States.

Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Fruits and Vegetables
    Bringing fruits and vegetables can be complicated. For instance, consider the apple you bought in the foreign airport just before boarding and then did not eat? Whether or not CBP will allow the apple into the United States depends on where you got it and where you are going after you arrive in the United States. The same would be true for those magnificent Mediterranean tomatoes. Fresh fruits and vegetables can carry plant pests or diseases into the United States.

One good example of problems imported fruits and vegetables can cause is the Mediterranean fruit fly outbreak during the 1980s, The outbreak cost the state of California and the Federal Government approximately $100 million to get rid of this pest. The cause of the outbreak was one traveler who brought home one contaminated piece of fruit. It is best not to bring fresh fruits or vegetables into the United States. However, if you plan to, contact either CBP or check the Travelers Information section on the USDA-APHIS web site for a general approved list on items that need a permit.