close

Thread: J2 Visa Application

Question Applying for J1-dependent Visa (J2)

Hello all,

I am Raje, have got a postdoctoral fellow (pdf) in Texas. I will be receiving the appointment letter and the Ds-2019 form from the university next week. I would like to take my husband along with me as a J1 dependent (in J2 visa status). He is also a phd holder. In deed, he would like to apply for a pdf once he is there in US. My friends have different opinion about this.

1) If the spouse has a higher degree, the chances of J2 visa getting rejected is more. So it is better that he secure his own independent visa status by applying and getting a pdf position from India.

2) The other group says, It is better to apply along with me as a dependent as we have got married just now, it could be an advantage for getting the J2-visa accepted.

Kindly suggest me.

Thanks and Regards, Raje.
    ps: Generally the pdf salary in US is ~30k pa, which i also get?.
    Last edited by apprajesh; 07-31-2007 at 07:41 AM. Reason: To choose a better title

Default Worth trying

Why don't you try for J2, if he gets through you are all set. Second option is anyway there if J2 gets rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by apprajesh View Post
    Hello all,

I am Raje, have got a postdoctoral fellow (pdf) in Texas. I will be receiving the appointment letter and the Ds-2019 form from the university next week. I would like to take my husband along with me as a J1 dependent (in J2 visa status). He is also a phd holder. In deed, he would like to apply for a pdf once he is there in US. My friends have different opinion about this.

1) If the spouse has a higher degree, the chances of J2 visa getting rejected is more. So it is better that he secure his own independent visa status by applying and getting a pdf position from India.

I dont think that higher degree can be a reason for rejection, it is always good to get a pdf position from India but it is very hard, so I would suggest to goahead with the dependent visa.

2) The other group says, It is better to apply along with me as a dependent as we have got married just now, it could be an advantage for getting the J2-visa accepted.

Kindly suggest me.

Thanks and Regards, Raje.
    ps: Generally the pdf salary in US is ~30k pa, which i also get?.
    Texas is a cheap place, so 30k will be a good start. I have one more suggestion. You can come to US alone and look for you hubb's job with a H1. Since, it will be a pdf position, so you can apply for h1 anytime from a non-profit organization, that does not come under cap restrictions. By this way he won't come under two year home country rule later on