close

Thread: concurrent H1B visa from exempt to non exempt employer

Default concurrent H1B visa from exempt to non exempt employer

Hi seniors and other members
    I am in a strange situation now. My current visa at a university expires in sept 2008 and i am interviewing for profit companies and most likely to have a job offer by march 08; could you please, please answer my doubts
    1) if the profit company applies for my H1B visa on April 1st, 2008 when i will i come to know if i got it? ( I have PhD from US univ, so come under additional 20K visa quota)
    2) can i ask company lawyers to apply for both 65K (regular) and 20K (US degree) categories?
    3) once i get approved for the company H1B visa (to start from Oct 1, 2008), can i apply for H1B transfer by, say, by May '08 and start working for the company (CONCURRENT VISA)? (say, my university approves this transfer) and how early i can apply for this transfer? can i apply as soon as my company H1B is approved?
    4) How many hours should I have to work for the university and the company if i get a H1B transfer? is there a set limit?
    I really appreciate your help and guidance. I searched previous posts but could not find an answer.
    Thanks a lot
    KP

Quote Originally Posted by kp1975 View Post
    Hi seniors and other members
    I am in a strange situation now. My current visa at a university expires in sept 2008 and i am interviewing for profit companies and most likely to have a job offer by march 08; could you please, please answer my doubts
    1) if the profit company applies for my H1B visa on April 1st, 2008 when i will i come to know if i got it? ( I have PhD from US univ, so come under additional 20K visa quota)
    once u have a receipt
    2) can i ask company lawyers to apply for both 65K (regular) and 20K (US degree) categories?
    i think u should apply under 20k only
    3) once i get approved for the company H1B visa (to start from Oct 1, 2008), can i apply for H1B transfer by, say, by May '08 and start working for the company (CONCURRENT VISA)? (say, my university approves this transfer) and how early i can apply for this transfer? can i apply as soon as my company H1B is approved?
    no need to get H1 first, just file a H1 Xfr from exempt H1 to nonexempt
    4) How many hours should I have to work for the university and the company if i get a H1B transfer? is there a set limit?
    u cannot work for both if H1 Xfr is approved.
    I really appreciate your help and guidance. I searched previous posts but could not find an answer.
    Thanks a lot
    KP
    ------------

Default thanks

Thank you so much Simran
    KP