close

Thread: San Francisco OCI processing time

Default San Francisco OCI processing time

Hi,

Me and my wife became US Citizens last week, and we have applied for US passport (expedited processing) which we hope to recieve by 26th August.

We have to go on a trip to India starting 22nd November, which means we will have a little less than 3 months time from the time I get our US passports.

Is this enough to apply for OCI for me and my wife. What is your experience in case you got your OCI from San Francisco consulate. Is there an expedited processing for OCI applications? Should we rather go for PIO card?

Thanks for your help,

Vivek

OCI takes approx. 80 to 90 days...the paper work goes to Delhi and once approved you need to send in your passports to SFo (Indian Consulate) to be stamped!
    My recommendation would be for you to start the OCI process, and in the meantime get a visitors visa for 6 months for your travel to India, and by the time you return from India (if all paperwork is right) your OCI application will be approved and you then need to send your Passport in for stamping.

Note: During the OCI process, your PP is with you, so you can still travel with Visitors Visa. Please check out the website for the Indian Consulate, SFo for more information.

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion - I will apply for the VIsa along wit OCI also. I have a couple of questions on the OCI application process, and it will be great if you can clarify my doubts (have been trying to get in touch with SF consulate for this, but no luck)

1. Regarding the fee ($275), what are the payment methods (cashier’s check, Money Order, Cash, Credit card etc)? Also, if it is a check or Money Order, whom should I make it out to?

2. In the OCI form (Part B), I have a doubt regarding question # 16 on page 5 (shown below)

16. Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or the other?

Yes/No

If no, give specific details.

Can you tell me if the answer to this question is Yes, or No, for USA?

3. Can I and my Wife go in person to the consulate to apply for the OCI? If so, what is a good time to come over to the Consulate and do I need an appointment?

4. For all the documents (Indian Passport, US passport, US Citizenship certificate), are self attested photocopies acceptable, or do I need to bring in originals also?

Thanks once again for your help!

Vivek

All the information you need are posted on the consulates website - www.cgisf.org. Please click on 'OCI' and read the FAQ's and 'Guidelines', and you should be able to find the answers to your queries.

Thanks a lot! That was it! I was looking at FAQs earlier, but not on the Guidelines page. I found the answers to all my questions over there.

Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right place.

Vivek

You are Welcome Glad to be of help! Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly.