Thread: Spending less money to get driver's license

Thumbs up Spending less money to get driver's license

Hi Friends,

Everybody is worried about getting driver's license in USA. Today I got VA driver license. you need not spend too much money for getting driver's license.

If you have valid India driver's license.....prepare /study first on ur own for the trafic signals and rules from the DMV provided manuals...based on it u can give online exam which is free. They didnt charge anything to me for this. I cleared the test. Then after that you need to give road test to get drivers license......For which i feel better u rent a car ...not required to go to driver lessons school for arranging a car for ur road test as becoz they charge u a lot. DMV permits rented car (as confirmed from DMV) for road test provided u have registration slip which generally renting company provides when u rent a car. Renting a car is much cheaper than arranging a car from a driving school. Otherwise u can use ur friend's car also for it.

So my suggetion is if u r confident in driving (becoz mostly of us drive in India and have driving experiance in ur country) not required to spend money on driving lessons as well as hiring a car from driving school for road test.

All the best !

Hi,

Just to add my experience in California
    Here DMV does not allow rental car since the insurance given by the rental company does not cover driving lessons or driving test. They told that I should have an insurance which covers people sitting inside it. Confirmed with Rental comany also which was Enterprise Rent - a - car.
    My 2 cents.

Rgds,
    ant

Yes, there is a catch there.
    Rental car agreements do not allow the car to be taken to driving tests. But, if you are confident that you can drive, you can rent the car using your indian licence (not even international permit is needed, all you need is licence and passport) and give it a try with the DMV.
    Just remember as long as you don't have an accident/incident during the test, you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by kabkaba View Post
    Yes, there is a catch there.
    Rental car agreements do not allow the car to be taken to driving tests. But, if you are confident that you can drive, you can rent the car using your indian licence (not even international permit is needed, all you need is licence and passport) and give it a try with the DMV.
    Just remember as long as you don't have an accident/incident during the test, you are good.

Again addin 2 cents for CA....I had rented th car with my indian license and was not allowed take the driving test

Rgds,
    ant

Yeah I agree with Antony, in CA you can not use Rental car for Drive test also don't be over confident with your Indian driving and drive on the US roads... There are enough horror stories to justify that.

Don't try short cuts to save few bucks here and there. I have driven in India for more than 4 years, but I took couple of days of training to get used to the Car and streets.

If you are in USA without wife and kids and think that you can take the risk... then go ahead....

Taking lessons should not be counted as expensive considering the damage costs should you involve in an accident. Being some one in your next seat will boost your confidence and make you to learn error free driving (atleast you require some one's help to change lines at the beginning). Dont just run into problems to save few bucks.

I agree that there is no need to spend money to get driver's license but driving experience is necessary. You can rent a car but you must have experience that how to drive in that country. You should aware about traffic rules of that country.
    If you have well experience of driving then definitely there is no need to spend more money to get driver's license.