close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H1 to L1 movement

Default H1 to L1 movement

Hi

I am on H1 visa for last 7 months in US but my wife is not able to work...now i am applying L1 A for myself so that my wife can work

Will INS have any issues/ problems in this. My case is genuine and i have all required eligibilities and documents.

Rgds
    Amit

u can transfer ur visa status from h1 to l1a - u need to follow the guidelines for l1 visa ( found on uscis.gov ) and file the petition with uscis along with all reqd docs.
    please contact ur company attorney for more info.

Default H1 to L1 A premium

Thx for your promt reply..my query is that technically is it posisble to convert...or infact apply fresh L1....or will the INS ask if i have valid H1 then why am i shiftign to L1....

also what will happen to my current H1..will they cancel it after they issue me a L1....last query is that do me and my spouse need to travel to India for L1 and L2 stamping...so that she can apply for her EAD and then work in US

Thx

every approval depends on specific case - status change to l1 is possible per info on uscis website. u must apply along with the reqd docs and follow guidelines.

u can only maintain one status at a time in the us(determined by valid i94)
    u need restamping only if u leave the US else u can maintain valid status if uscis sends I94 along with l1 approval.

its best to contact an immig attorney for clarification.
    Last edited by ronline; 07-29-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Hi Kumarcomm,

Firstly, it is the company that has to apply for your H1 or L1. Only if the company you are working for has a branch in India, and if you have worked in the Indian branch for atleast one whole year, the company can apply for your Intra Company Transfer Visa a.k.a L1. So this is the first parameter. See if u qualify this.
    I think a better option is for your wife to find a job and get her employer to file a H1b for her. Then she can apply for change of status from H4 to H1b. Please note that the quota for H1b will aplly. This can be done even when u are on H1B.
    In both the cases, whether it is L1 or H1b, you can safely continue to work in the US legally if you have your papers intact. Only if you want to come to India, then you need to worry about the stamping on your passport. Tha procedure then will be much like a new case of whichever category you are seeking the stamping for.
    For any more queries, you can e mail me at ..

VEENA
    (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)
    Last edited by Murali; 05-17-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Default H1B to L1 query

Hi,
    As you know, in US, in the present situation, it is hard to find someone to sponsor your H1B . Therefore ,the only option is to get my husband's visa converted from H1B to L1. Request you to kindly detail the process. Also, the Us counsulate will require valid reasons for the transfer. Request urgently for the "acceptable reasons" for such a transfer.

Regards
    Prasad

Default H1 to L1 Conversion

Hi

I am also in the similar situation now. I am on H1 here and my husband wants to work here.. so I am planning to convert my H1 to L1 if its possible. Can you please lemme know your experiences and finally were you able to achieve this conversion.

Thanks,
    Roopa.

Default Update reqd

Hi Roopa/Prasad,

I have an H1 and trying to convert it to L1 so that my husband will be able to work in the US. I wanted to know if you had any luck with the conversion from H1 to L1 and also wanted some details about the process. Largely about when I can schedule an interview date. Can I schedule it a month before I complete one year in the company in India or do I need to wait till after 1 year to be able to schedule an interview date.

Thanks
    Aruna

Default H1 to L1

Hi,

I am in H1 visa. Need to convert it to L1.
    Want to know your experience in converting.

Thanks,
    _

Default Fresh L1 ?

I am on H1 in US for the last 6 months
    Is it technically permissible to apply for a fresh L1 while I am here ?
    Or do I necessarily need to file for a conversion ?

Thanks a lot !!
    Mihir