This is one situation every Indian faces one time or another after coming to the USA. There could be many reasons for you to send money to India: ailing parents, weddings, education or just a monthly remittance.
Many new services and companies are now offering Money transfer services to India and across the globe. Wire transfer or Western union are no longer the only options available, there are various other ways to do so. The best way to remit is to compare money transfer services before sending money to India. One such site - www.CompareRemit.com allows you to compare various money sending services and companies in order to get the best exchange rate for sending money to India.
But before you choose the money transfer service, it is important to understand the basic concept and its mode of operation. After all, its your hard earn money and a little understanding on this topic can surely make you save significant amount of money and get you some peace of mind as well.
All other traditional way of Money transfer is already mentioned on this website refer this article : Ways to Transfer your Money
Here we will be exploring about the new and poplar money transfer mode.
- ACH or direct debit : Debit to your US bank checking account and transfer to the beneficiary account/draft.
- Credit Card : you pay from your Credit card and money is delivered to your beneficiary in the home country currency.
Factors to look for
- Credibility: The name of the company and its credibility.
- Fee: What are the charges per transaction.Are there any additional charges if mode of transfer is Credit Card ? or if the beneficiary is other then yourself? Or if the delivery mode is a Draft?
- Conversion Rate : This is one of the most important and catchy thing which one should definitely pay attention to, as you many see a low Fee but eventually end up paying more on conversion/exchange rate.
- Customer Support : How is the customer support, is there some one who can listen to you in case you need help in tracking down your money you send and either never reached or delayed or delivered a wrong transaction?
- US toll free number ? example : ICICI money to India has a toll free number.
- Time to deliver : How long does it take to deliver?
- Ease of use? How easy is it use? Is the transaction secure?
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQ)
- I send money on regular basis, which is best for me?
- I send occasionally, which one is good for me?
- I want to send money urgently, which one is good for me?
- I bought a property and need to send money in installment in regular basis what is a good option?
- I want to send some money, but I really am not in hurry.
If you are sending money to your personal account, use a NRE account and try if the same bank offers any money transfer services. Most of the banks do, like ICICI and HDFC, SBI and few more.
Note : Some foreign banks who have presence in both countries in USA as well as your home country, do lure people to have a NRE account with them and then transfer money online from their regular checking account to the NRE account. For example: Citibank reports your interest earns on the NRE account to IRS and expects you to report in your US tax. So better to have your NRE account with any nationalized bank instead of a US bank like Citibank.
If urgent, do a wire transfer/ or use western union.
If you want to send it on a regular basis, you may use your personnel check and send it by post. This may take some time for the beneficiary to deposit and get it cleared but you there is no need to use any money transfer service and may save on Fee.
You can also provide post dated checks to the person/party, and ask them to deposit in their account but ensure that time you have funds available in your account well in advance before the actual date of deposit of check.
This is one of the best ways, for people who send money to their parents on regular basis. Also for those who are paying some property installments.
Some popular services:
Money2India: from ICICI bank.
( ACH/direct debit for USA bank accounts)