Check USCIS case status. USCIS assigns and issues a unique case number to each visa application filed with USCIS. You can check your visa or immigration application filed with USCIS Case status online using this receipt number.Visa petition like H1B visa petition, or visa transfer and visa extension application can be checked online for the status. Similarly people applying for green card petition(I-130) for family members or through employer under EB category can check the status for application status for I-140, I-485, AOS, Advance parole, EAD, Citizenship.
What is the USCIS receipt number?
USCIS receipt or case number is a unique 13 digit alphanumeric number. There are 4 USCIS service centers to handle applications. The first 3 characters of your receipt signifies the particular service center where the application is being processed. These can be any one of WAC, EAC, SRC, and LIN. For instance application submitted to California state will have a receipt number starting with WAC.
How to check USCIS case status online.To check your USCIS case status online over the internet follow these steps:
- Go to USCIS e-service case status page :
- Locate the "Enter your receipt number" box on the left corer of the page.
- Make sure that your enter number correctly and all 13 letters as printed on our receipt notice.
- Enter the number without any spaces.
- The field is not case sensitive so enter number in all Caps or small letters.
- Once the page refreshes you will see the information about your case.
- You may register for an account to get alert/notification to receive your e-mail notification whenever the status changes.
Check USCIS case status over the phoneYou may obtain your case status by calling 1 (800) 375-5283 using a touch-tone phone, and following the automated instructions. Please have your receipt number ready.
There is no human intervention in this service. All you get is an electronically recorded message stating your date of application filing and the approximate time frame for the approval. These numbers are generally very busy. One needs to have patience to get connected.
You may email the appropriate USCIS Service Center with your inquiry to check your USCIS case status:
- California Service Center: email@example.com
- Vermont Service Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nebraska Service Center: email@example.com
- Texas Service Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note : Status may not be checked for certain applications that are moved to National Visa Service Center (NVC). Get more information about NVC and check case status with National Visa Center
H1 B tracker
Track the progress and trend of H1B petition and approval trend. Here is a H1B tracker to share and learn from other co-applicants.