Emergency Appointments or Expedited Appointments are available for applicants with genuine emergencies. These appointments are granted on a limited basis based on medical and humanitarian grounds. Prior to the appointment ascertain whether you have documentary evidence to prove the emergency. In addition to the required documents, you need to provide additional documents to prove the emergency. If your visa was rejected, you cannot take an emergency appointment for a year from the date of rejection. Also, it is recommended that you do not make any travel plans before you get the emergency appointment and your visa is approved.
How to take the emergency appointment for us visa
The expedited appointment is dependent on its availability in the Embassy/ Consulate you apply to. Applicants who are granted an expedited appointment but subsequently refused a visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will not be allowed to utilize this option to obtain another expedited appointment.
In order to obtain emergency appointment for US Visa, you must first pay the visa fees as required in a regular visa appointment. Then complete the DS-160 US Visa Application form. The next step at the time you schedule the US visa appointment online, an onscreen message with the earliest available dates are shown that includes expedited/emergency appointments. You may find it unnecessary to apply for an emergency appointment because no earlier dates are available. If you still want to apply for the emergency appointment, fill the Emergency Request Form, and state your reason for emergency.
The emergency has to be a valid emergency (attending ceremonies like weddings and graduation, helping pregnant relatives, attending annual business conferences etc are not considered to be valid reasons for emergency appointments). Once you have submitted your request, you will receive an email from the Embassy (from email address firstname.lastname@example.org) confirming or denying the appointment. If the request is denied keep the existing appointment. If the request is accepted you will receive an email alert and you can schedule your appointment online. If you do not receive a confirmation or denial check your junk or spam folders for the email.
Types of Emergencies and their required documentations
1) Medical Emergency
If you, your relative, or your employer wants to seek emergency medical treatment in US then you may qualify for an expedited appointment. In order to prove that the medical emergency is genuine certain documents are required:
- Financial proof that you are ready to undertake the expense associated with the voyage and treatment.
- A letter from the doctor that includes details like the nature of illness and the need for its treatment in US.
- A letter from the hospital or doctor in US stating the approximate cost of the treatment and willingness to treat you for the medical condition.
Someone may qualify for an expedited appointment if there is a death of an immediate family member (brother, sister, husband, wife, son, daughter, parents) in US. The visa applicant may accompany the body back to the home country or attend the funeral. The documents required are:
- Evidence of immediate family relation with the deceased.
- A letter from the funeral director that contains the date of the funeral, the details of the deceased, and the director's contact information.
3) Business Emergency
If there is an unforeseen emergency business meeting or training in US for 3 months or less, then you can apply for an emergency appointment. The required documents are:
- A letter of invitation from the company in US if the reason for visit is a business meeting. The letter should include the details of business, the reason and urgency of the meeting, and an account of losses involved if the emergency appointment is not available.
- Letters from the both the local office and the company in US if the reason for the visit is a training program. The letters should include the details of the business, the details of the training program, and an account of losses involved for both the local company and company in US if emergency appointment is not available.
4) Exchange Visitors or Students
Students or exchange students who have to attend or resume a valid education program in the US within 60 days can apply for an emergency appointment if no regular visa appointment is available. The emergency appointment is limited to applicants who have not been refused a visa in the last six months at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
Documents required are:
- Evidence the student has paid the SEVIS fee (if applicable).
- Original Form I-20 or DS-2019 proving that the start date of the education program is within 60 days.
During the visa interview if it is found that you falsely represented your emergency, the misrepresentation will be noted in your case file and may have negative effects on the outcome of your visa application.