On July 16, 2023, Canada kickstarted their new immigration program specifically for H1B visa holders in the United States. This open work permit program allowed up to 10,000 H1B visa holders in the U.S. to apply to live and work in Canada for a period of up to 3 years. Within less than 48 hours, Canada received all 10,000 applications from eager American H1B visa holders and closed the application window.
Now, less than just one month later, applicants are already reporting that their Canada open work permit has been approved! While not everyone who has applied has received approval notice, many who completed their biometrics quickly after submitting their application have.
Canada Open Work Permit Approval Notices
Among many others, the following Canada open work permit approvals have been noted from the Canada H1B Open Work Permit facebook group.
Canada Open Work Permit Approval: Next Steps
If your Canada open work permit is approved, you will be notified and will need to send your valid passport to finalize your application. You’ll also receive an Entry Letter of Introduction which you will bring with you at the port of entry. This is not your work permit – you’ll receive your work permit after you present this letter at the port of entry. Your three year work period will begin the day you enter into Canada and are issued your work permit.
You’ll need to bring the following documents with you at the port of entry:
- Entry Letter of Introduction
- Valid passport
You can also check the status of your application on the Government of Canada website.
Additional Canada Open Work Permit Details
Key information to note regarding the Canada open work permit program include:
- Processing times are around 6 weeks
- Work permit is only issued at port of entry
- You are permitted to work for 3 years, but this can be extended under a different program
- This program may be reopened later in the year, depending on amount of work permits issued at port of entry
- If approved, dependents can also work or study in Canada
- Only 10,000 applications are approved (includes principal applications only)
For more information on the Canada work permit program, check out our complete guide on the application process.