UPDATED: The original date of October 3, 2017 for Diversity Immigrant Visa when US green cards are distributed has been scratched and made October 18, 2017. Applicants can apply until noon EST on Wednesday November 22, 2017 and winners of the randomly selected lottery would get their visas during the 2019 fiscal year that runs from Oct. 1, 2018 to Sept. 30, 2019. All entries that were made between October 3 and October 10, 2017 were lost due to a technical glitch within the electronic system. All applicants will be notified of the same and asked to re-apply.
55,000 Green Cards will be issued to applicants eligible for the Diversity Visa Lottery program for FY2019. Only citizens of countries underrepresented in the employment and family-based categories can apply. This is a lottery based system and the Department of State conducts a random selection of Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) applicants, based on allocations of available visas in each region and country, from all registered entries. Once granted, this visa is valid for six months to travel into the United States after which you may be eligible to get legal permanent residency.
Eligibility for DV-2019
- Principal applicant should have a high school education.
- Alternatively, the applicant should have a minimum of two years of work experience in the last five years. This should be in a profession that atleast two years of training or experience.
How to apply for the DV-2019
- Ensure you qualify for the eligibility criteria.
- Submit an Entry which in turn gives a Confirmation number. This should be retained for the entire process.
- Fill out Form DS-260.
- Pay a fee of $330 per application for administrative services. This fee is nonrefundable, whether a visa is issued or not.
- Book a medical appointment for physical examination and vaccinations. Bring the sealed record for the interview.
- Arrange for photos of applicant and any co-applicant.
- Attend visa interview.
- Await results.
Things to Remember
- DV-2019 application is only available online.
- Keep the confirmation number handy at all times. This will be required to check status.
- The Entrant Status Check is the only means by which selectees are notified of their selection.
- Carefully review all scheduling and interview instructions sent out by the US Consulate.
- If you had a spouse or children prior to submitting your original entry, but you did not include them on your original entry form, then your case will be disqualified at the time of your visa interview. Neither you nor any of your family members will receive visas.
- Carry Passport(s)valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the U.S. for you and each family member applying for a visa.
- For the Interview carry original documents or certified copiesof all applicable civil documents, and one photocopy of each document.
Green Card Lottery gives more information on the selection process for the Diversity Visa Program.