The DV-2021 Diversity Visa program registration closed on November 5, 2019.All submission processing has also been completed. DV-2021 applicants are to keep their confirmation number until September 30, 2021 and use it to check status of their applications.
Among the furor surrounding illegal immigration to the US, the US State Department announced the dates for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, also known as Diversity Visa lottery for Fiscal Year 2021. Starting October 2, 2019 55,000 eligible foreign nationals were able to put their names into a lottery system that if picked in the lottery, will allow them to immigrate to the US with a green card by Yr. 2021.
Ineligible Countries for Green Card Lottery
Even if applicants meet most of the visa lottery requirements, they may not be able to apply for Green Card lottery based on their country. Not all citizens of all countries are allowed to apply for USA diversity visa lottery. Citizens from countries that have already sent more than 50,000 immigrants to the US in the past 5 years are not eligible.
Foreign nationals of the following countries are not eligible for DV 2021.
- Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its territories, and Vietnam
- Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible.
This means that you or your spouse must be a native of a country that is eligible to participate in the DV lottery. You may also be eligible to apply if your parent was born in a country that is eligible to participate. The State Department publishes the eligible countries for Green Card lottery each year.
Are you eligible for the Diversity Visa Program for FY 2021?
Find out here and apply
Important Things to Remember When Filing for DV Lottery for FY 2021
- It’s a lottery system and anyone from a country with least number of immigrants to the US in the past five years. Locate ineligible countries above.
- Its free of cost to apply
- All eligible candidates can apply from October 2, 2019 until November 5, 2019
- One of the eligibility criterion is having a high school diploma or its equivalent, or two years’ work experience over the past five years in an eligible field that requires at least two years of training
- Once applied for at https://dvlottery.state.gov, you can check your status online from May 5, 2020 until September 30, 2021.
- Paper entries will not be accepted.
- For the applicants who are selected in the lottery but are already present in the US at the time can adjust their status by petitioning to USCIS.
- It is recommended to apply early to avoid slow-downs later when the rush increases. This year, the online system crashed several times due to heavy traffic.
- It is important to remember to have a valid passport with a minimum six-month validity to qualify for the DV lottery system.
- Being selected as a winner in the diversity visa lottery does not automatically guarantee that you will be issued a visa, even if you are qualified.
- Please remember to fill the form personally without the assistance of unofficial ‘consultants’ for fear of illegal activity. Fraudulent websites and services do not provide any added assistance to this process.
Looking for more information on how to file for a DV Green Card lottery?
Follow us for the latest filing guidelines