How to Get Aadhaar Card for Eligible NRIs in 2019
The Indian Interim Budget 2019 announced a lot of benefits for the non-resident Indian (NRI) and issuing them the Aadhaar card was one of them. The NRI doesn’t have to stay in India a minimum of 182 days in 12 months to be eligible for the Aadhaar card and can now get it sooner. The Aadhaar card for NRIs will carry an official identification number called Aadhaar number that will be linked with a centralized database in India and include demographic, biometric and other relevant data of the NRI. This would be beneficial in all NRI financial dealings, identification requirements as well as passport functionalities – all critical for an NRI.
What are the Documents Required for an NRI to get Aadhaar Card?
- Birth certificate
- Photo ID (Pan Card, Passport)
- Voter card, Ration Card, or Driving license
- Proof of Relationship (for Family members)
- Proof of Address – abroad as well as local address in India
- School metric certificate (Optional)
How Can an NRI Get Aadhaar Card?
- In the next three months, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will initiate service centers and facilities to issue Aadhaar cards for NRIs holding a valid Indian passport. This could be at specific locations or even at airports on arrival to India.
- Currently 114 Aadhaar Seva Kendras are operative covering 53 cities which will meet the needs targeted to NRIs. These centers will facilitate enrollment, updation and other requirements. More locations are expected to be allocated.
- This is beyond the already existing facilities available in banks, post offices and other government premises.
- These Aadhaar Seva Kendras will also have an online component to facilitate online appointments allowing NRIs to book slots per convenience of time and location. This helps NRIs who may be traveling and planning to travel to India and plan accordingly.
- Once the documents are submitted and accepted by the facility, there is a biometric scanning of fingers and iris (eyes)
- Photographs of each applicant is taken
- Aadhaar Card is issued within 60 days, usually sooner. Status can be tracked online with the enrollment number on UIDAI website.
- A temporary e-aadhhar card can be downloaded. Digital copy is just as relevant and valid as the hard version.
As UIDAI is finalizing the technological requirements, they can also potentially authorize the Indian embassies abroad to facilitate the issuing of Aadhaar cards to NRIs in those countries. For all NRIs, stay tuned here for the latest updates on Aadhaar card issue centers and appointment facilities as they get formalized in the next couple of months.