Owing to the aggressive spread of the Omicron variation of the Covid-19 virus, India has extended its suspension of the movement of international flights within its air space. Effective from January 19, 2022 through February 28, 2022.
The original restriction on international flights was placed on March 23, 2020 and set to expire on December 14, 2021. However, the current surge has prompted the Civil Aviation Ministry to extend the travel restrictions until February 28, 2022.
Who Is Exempted From India’s Travel Restrictions?
The suspension will not apply to cargo flights, flights approved by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), or flights under air bubble agreements.
Travel from at-risk countries is not suspended if the country also has an air bubble arrangement with India.
Air Bubble Travel Unaffected
The new policy change will not impact flights under air bubble agreements.
Countries which currently have air bubble agreements with India include Afghanistan, Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Canada, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Iraq, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Maldives, Mauritius, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Uzbekistan.
Countries which have air bubble arrangements with India that are also labeled as at-risk include Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Kenya, Mauritius, Nigeria, Switzerland, Tanzania, and United Kingdom.
Travelers from at-risk countries must follow additional safety measures upon arrival in India. This includes pre-booking and taking an RT-PCR COVID-19 test at any of the Indian ports of entry. These include –
- New Delhi,
Travel Suspended For…
At-risk Countries with suspended air travel include Botswana, Brazil, China, Ghana, Hong Kong, Israel, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, Republic of the Congo, South Africa, Tunisia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
India Visa Status
If you have to travel to India despite the restrictions, you may want to confirm your India visa status. There have been several changes and restrictions imposed at various Indian consulates and at the Indian Embassies around the world. Check out our FAQ section on the Latest Update On India Visa: 15 Questions Answered For ANYONE Traveling To India Right Now
What Is Air Bubble & Is Your International Flight Included?
Under an air bubble agreement between any two nations, airlines of both countries can operate special but limited flights between their territories with certain restrictions. They are a temporary bilateral agreement between India and another country until further notice.
International Flights Resuming After February 28, 2022?
- At-risk and air bubble: 5% of operations prior to COVID-19 for either India or the foreign carrier, or seven or more frequencies per week subject to availability under the bilateral agreement.
- At-risk without air bubble: 50% of operations for either India or the foreign carrier, or 50% of bilateral capacity entitlements.
- Others: Full capacity entitlements as described in bilateral air service agreements.
THIS is What You Do Before Boarding Flight To India
- Download Aarogya Setu app on their mobile devices
- Submit self-declaration form on the online Air Suvidha portal. Only travelers who have filled in the Self Declaration Form on the Air Suvidha portal and uploaded the negative RT-PCR test report will be allowed to board the flight.
- Upload a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR report that should have been taken within 72 hours prior to undertaking the journey
- Children under 5 years of age are exempted from testing.
- Submit all details of travel undertaken 14 days boarding the flight to India
- Certain international flights may conduct thermal testing before boarding the India-bound flight. Only asymptomatic travelers will be allowed to board after thermal screening.
- Each traveler will submit a self-declaration form testifying to the authenticity of the COVID19 RT-PCR report. If found fraudulent, they will be liable for criminal prosecution.
Enough can be said about traveling during a pandemic. But sometimes, it is inevitable and protecting yourself and your loved ones during such turbulent times becomes part and parcel of traveling now. It is the prudent thing to do and picking out the perfect insurance plan that will you take care of you trip is the obvious next step.