An estimated 1 million Americans travel to India each year. Many American citizens, especially those with Indian ties, have been discouraged from visiting India due to the visa procedures and documentations. India will now offer Tourist Visa-on-Arrival (TVoA) for tourists with US citizenship traveling to India.
The Visa-on-Arrival may be applicable for a stay of less than 30 days in the country for a maximum of two times in a calendar year, with a minimum gap of two months between two visits, as is currently available for citizens of 12 countries including Japan, Singapore, Philippines, Finland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, and South Korea. To learn more about Visa-on-Arrival program in India, visit Tourist Visa on Arrival in India.
Who is Eligible for The Tourist Visa-on-Arrival?
- The Ministry of Home Affairs is working together with Ministry of Tourism of India to implement this new immigration law for those American citizens who do not have a residence or an occupation in India, and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, meeting friends and relatives, short-term medical treatment, casual business, etc.
- Travelers who hold a passport with a minimum validity of six months and a re-entry permit, if that is required under the law of the country of nationality of the applicant
- Travelers who have assured financial standing (the production of a return ticket and availability of sufficient money to spend during his stay in India may be considered sufficient for this purpose)
Fee for Tourist Visa-on-Arrival
A fee of Indian Rupees equivalent to US $60/- per passenger (including children) will be charged for each foreigner for the grant of a Tourist Visa-On-Arrival (TVOA)
Documents Required For Tourist Visa On Arrival
- Passport valid for at least 6 months and contains a minimum of two blank pages.
- Two passport size photographs
- Photocopy of passport
- Return ticket
Step 1: Apply on line at e-tourist Visa (eTV) Application and upload a digital photograph and Passport page
Step 2: Pay the visa Fees online via Credit / Debit Card
Step 3: Receive a E Tourist Visa on line sent to your Email
Step 4: Print the E-Tourist Visa and carry with you while you fly to India.
As per some reports, tourist on-arrival visas to India will not be allowed more than twice in a calendar year. Travelers with permanent residency or work permits in India may not be eligible for this category.