With an intention to streamline processes as well as make it more time-efficient, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is increasingly converting a lot of systems into a digital format. One such conversion is the process of replacing a Permanent Resident Card, otherwise known as Green Card which can now be done online via Form I-90.
Generally, Green Cards come with no expiration date and are usually valid for 10 years. When given a conditional permanent resident status, the card is valid for two years. It is important to keep the green card up-to-date without which the ability to travel, eligibility to work in the United States or just to prove permanent residency can be difficult.
When should you replace the Green Card?
- If the information therein has changed;
- If the card is lost, stolen or damaged;
- Older versions that came without an expiration date on it should be replaced with a new version;
- If you became a permanent resident before you turned 14 years old, it should be replaced after 14 years of age.
- Six months short of expiration. One cannot apply for Naturalization on an expired green card.
Features of the Mobile-friendly version of I-90 Green Card Replacement Form
For anyone who is in need of replacing the Permanent Resident Card, and doesn’t need the assistance of an attorney or accredited representative can file their form and upload evidence entirely on a mobile device. Pictures can be taken of the required evidentiary documentation and uploaded directly into the USCIS system. The rest of the process and content mirrors that of the paper format. The important features consist of –
- An account needs to be set up to facilitate the online version of the Form I-90 on the USCIS website;
- This is a free service and can be accessed directly from the USCIS website via their mobile device;
- This also has the added advantage of being able to track statuses of pending applications as well as be able to communicate with officials through a secure inbox;
- Case updates can be received in real time;
- The feature of the secure inbox makes uploading sensitive information like driver’s licenses a lot easier and safer;
- The new online, mobile-responsive format is a lot more intuitive when it comes to answering form related queries;
- Provides easy navigation between different sections of the Form I-90;
- Personalized, in that it only directs you to sections relevant to each individual case, and
- The most important – allows for uploading of documents on the mobile device conveniently from anywhere.
This has simplified the entire process of replacing the Green Card and alleviated the stress of many lawful permanent residents. Green Card Replacement Process talks in depth of ways and processes of replacing a Permanent Residency Card.