More Efficient, Navigation-Friendly Form I-485 Released By USCIS
The Unites States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released a newly revised Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485). This will go into permanent effect by August 25, 2017 when older forms will be discarded. Until then, USCIS will accept both the 01/17/17 and 06/26/17 editions of Form I-485 and Supplements A and J.
In order to become lawful permanent residents of the United States, applicants have to fill out the Form I-485 that allows them to adjust their immigration status. This then, lead to the next step of seeking US citizenship, if they so desire.
The new version was introduced based on comments collected from the public and stakeholders and has the following features –
- A list of 27 immigrant categories, which allows applicants to identify the specific immigrant category under which they are applying;
- Form G-325A that covers biographic information is included so applicants don’t have to file it separately;
- Updated list of admissibility and eligibility related questions that allows USCIS access to necessary information to better assist with respective questions.
- User-friendly questions that facilitate better organization and understanding of the flow;
- Improved formatting that include new spacing, columns, flow, and white space allows for better readability.
The revised version is more navigation-friendly in that it gives applicants better, simplified instructions relevant to the applicants’ specific situations. Besides giving information to accurately complete the Form I-485, it also aims at reducing complexity and therefore, increase the efficiency of the adjudication process by reducing errors and requests for evidence.
In addition to this, Forms I-485 Supplement A and Form I-485 Supplement J (as well as each supplement’s instructions) have also been revised. These contain detailed information on how to properly complete, file, and submit evidence if those supplements are applicable to their situation.
While the look and feel of Form I-485 has changed, the process for filing remains the same. Applicants must still submit their paper applications to the location listed in the form instructions.
To understand and follow the steps of filing Form I-485, read instructions at I-485 Process.