UPDATED: Non-U.S. Citizens Must Report a Change of Address Within 10 Days of Moving Within the U.S.

Update: Non-U.S citizens who have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and expect notification of a decision or status of the application or petition filed, are by law, required to keep the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) informed of their current address. They recently announced that going forward, they will destroy Permanent Resident Cards, Employment Authorization Cards and Travel Documents after 60 days if the postal service is unable to deliver it to the registered address unless they are notified of a change of address within the stipulated time period.

This is applicable to all non US citizens with the exception of diplomats (visa status A), official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor crime and is punishable by fines of up to $200 or imprisonment for up to 30 days.

The protocol for reporting a change of address is as follows:

  • Those who have no pending applications but have previously filed a Form I-360, a Form I-914, a Form I-918, a Form I-485, or a Form I-751 can file a Form AR-11 online or by mail. If filed online, a paper mail-in form is not necessary.
  • Those who do have pending applications and have previously filed a Form I-360, a Form I-914, a Form I-918, a Form I-485, or a Form I-751 will need to first file a Form AR-11 online or by mail, then change the address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions online or by phone at 1-800-767-1833.
  • Those with a pending or approved Form I-360, Form I-914, Form I-918, or Form I-485 should file their change of address by mail only at the following address:

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

To change your address online and update your address on pending applications or petitions, you can use USCIS’s Online Change of Address System, where you will complete and submit Form AR-11 electronically. Should you decide to submit Form AR-11 by mail, you will need to fill out a paper Form AR-11 and send it to the address listed above. When sending your change of address form by mail, it is strongly suggested that you do so via certified, registered or return receipt mail to ensure that you have documented proof should any issues arise.