USCIS Announces Complete Redesign of Green Cards and EAD's In an Effort to Prevent Immigration Fraud

As part of the Next Generation Secure Identification Document Project, USCIS announced that Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) and the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be undergoing a complete redesign. The new Green Cards and EAD’s will be equipped with enhanced graphics and fraud-resistance security features and will be issued on May 1, 2017.

What You Need to Know About the Green Card Redesign:

While current Green Cards and EAD’s will remain valid until the expiration date shown on the documents, the following are important things to keep in mind in determining the validity of your documentation:

  • USCIS will continue using the existing card stock with the old design until current supplies are depleted so some Green Cards Issued after May 1, 2017 may still look like the previous cards.
  • Certain EADs held by individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and other designated categories have been automatically extended beyond the validity date on the card.
  • Both the old and the new versions are acceptable for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility VerificationE-Verify, and Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE).
  • Some older Green Cards do not have an expiration date. These older versions will remain valid however, those individuals who have Green Cards without expiration dates may want to consider applying for an updated replacement card to avoid any issues pertaining to fraud or tampering should the card ever be lost or stolen.

The redesign comes as an effort by USCIS and the CBP to create highly secure, tamper-resistant cards and documents to deter cases of counterfeiting and fraud. The new Green Cards and EAD’s will display the individuals photos on both sides, have a unique graphic image and color palette, have embedded holographic images, and no longer display the individuals signature, or have an optical stripe on the back. For more information about the Green Card process or how to request an EAD, refer to our guide to Green Cards.