USCIS Distributes Workload – Transfers Cases From Vermont to California and Nebraska Service Centers

Case-loads at many USCIS centers have seen an unprecedented increase in the past couple of years. This constant increase in immigrant and non-immigrant visa petitions have caused a severe backlog which has in-turn delayed timely processing of these petitions. USCIS have adopted several tactics to deal with this issue. One way to deal with it was to suspend Premium processing until February 2019 of these petitions wherein the applicant could get an expedited response. Recently USCIS announced the transfer of some cases pertaining to Form I-130, Petition for the Alien Relative filed in the Vermont Service Center to be transferred to the California and Nebraska Service Centers to deal with the heavy workload.

Which cases/petitions are transferred to a different USCIS Service Center?

  • I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
  • I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status (employment and asylum-based only)
  • I-821D/I-765, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals/ Application for Employment Authorization (initial and renewal requests)

How will you be affected if your case has been transferred to another service center?

Previously, USCIS used to issue web alerts for each transfer. However, you are notified via mail for your individual case transfer. You can use your receipt number to track your specific petition. Things to know:

  • The receipt number for your case will remain the same even if your case has been transferred.
  • If your petition has been transferred, you will receive a notice from USCIS listing your transfer date and the name of the service center where your case will be processed.
  • No delays in the processing time, excluding the additional time required to transfer your case.

How to track and follow your case?

Here’s what you need to know about tracking your case, should it get transferred from the service center you filed the petition to another service center. You can still track updates about the progress and status of your case.

  • Keep your receipt number handy while contacting using USCIS.
  • Use the receipt number provided by the USCIS to track the status of your case. Case Status can be tracked here.
  • If your case is taking longer than the published processing time, you can call USCIS on 1-800-375-5283 or submit an inquiry using e-Request.