USCIS Implements Ability to Change Address Online

The USCIS has added the ability for those who have pending applications, requests, or petitions to change their home or mailing address online, greatly simplifying the process. Previously, an applicant would need to fill out a paper AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, call the USCIS contact center, or visit a USCIS field office.

The new Enterprise Change of Address (E-COA) self-service tool allows most individuals to update their home or mailing address through their USCIS online account, in one place, eliminating the need to update your address in multiple places. This is true for forms submitted either online or physically.

There are, however, some exceptions for this new ability which includes applicants who fall under the following categories:

  • Victims of domestic violence, trafficking, and other crimes
  • Form I-751 abuse waivers
  • U.S. citizen/national and have submitted an affidavit of support for another person
  • Civil surgeons
  • Attorneys of record/registered representatives

For these cases, individuals must follow the instructions for changing their address on the USCIS How to Change Your Address page.

Updating your address through the E-COA tool will affect all of your pending applications, requests, and petitions. If you do not have any pending forms, you can still use the E-COA tool to update the address that USCIS has on file for you.


Changing your address with USPS will not change your address with USCIS. You must update your address information with both USPS and USCIS separately.

How to Change Your USCIS Address Online

If you move residences, updating your mailing and physical address with USCIS in a timely manner is imperative to ensure that you stay up-to-date with all notices from USCIS. Additionally, the USCIS requires that noncitizens report a change of address within 10 days of moving.

USCIS Implements Ability to Change Address Online

Follow these steps to change your address with USCIS online:

  1. Sign into your USCIS online account. If you don’t have one, you will need to sign up for an account. All you will need is an email address and password and a way to set up 2-step verification.
  2. Once logged into your account, navigate to the “Change your address” option on the home page of your USCIS account.
  3. Here, you can update your address with USCIS. You will be asked a series of questions to submit your request. You will need the following information:
  • Your name and date of birth
  • Your new address information
  • Your immigration information about your pending application, petition, or request, if applicable

The new E-COA will eliminate the need for a lengthy manual process for updating addresses on applications, petitions, and requests. This change will improve efficiency for the USCIS and result in less paperwork to process. It automates this process and makes the process of having to change an address for an existing petition easy and stress-free.