USCIS Issues Work Authorization and Advance Parole on Single Card for Adjustment Applicants

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it is now issuing employment and travel authorization on a single card for certain applicants filing an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485). USCIS said the new card “represents a significant improvement from the current practice of issuing paper Advance Parole documents.”

The card appears similar to the current Employment Authorization Document (EAD) but includes text that reads, “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole.” A card with this text serves as both an employment authorization and advance parole document.

An applicant may receive this card when he or she files an Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) and an Application for Travel Document (Form I-131) concurrently with or after filing the I-485. USCIS said it will continue to issue separate EAD and advance parole documents when warranted. Employers may accept the new card as a List A document when completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9).

USCIS noted that as with the current advance parole document, obtaining the combined card allows an adjustment applicant to travel abroad and return to the U.S. without abandoning the pending adjustment application. Upon returning to the U.S., the applicant must present the card to request parole through the port-of-entry, and the decision to parole the individual is made at the port-of-entry. Those who have been unlawfully present in the U.S. and subsequently depart and seek re-entry through a grant of parole may be inadmissible and ineligible to adjust their status, USCIS warned.

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP
[email protected]