ECNR stands for Emigration Check Not Required and ECR stands for Emigration Check Required . The idea behind ECR stamp in the passport is to protect Indian citizens from legal conditions of other countries.
According to the Emigration Act 1983, ‘Emigration’ means Indian citizen leaving India with the intent to acquire employment in a foreign country. So, Indians that fulfill certain conditions are required to obtain Emigration clearance on their passport from Protector of Emigrants(POE), for going abroad.
As a result, all Indian passports are divided into two categories:
- Passport with ECR (Emigration check required)
- Passport with ECNR (Emigration check not required)
Facts about ECNR & ECR:
- Any passport issued before January 2007, with no notation, it is taken as ECR.
- Any passport issued in or after January 2007, with no notation, it is taken as ECNR.
- If any passport requires ECR, there will be an endorsement in the passport regarding it.
Taking a trip?
Protect yourself with travel medical insurance
The following applicants are eligible for ECNR status regardless of its requirement in certain countries -
- Holders of Diplomatic / Official Passports
- Gazetted Government servants, their spouses and dependent children
- Income tax payers, their spouses and dependent children
- Professional degree holders
- Persons having educational qualification of matriculation and above.
- Seamen who are in possession of Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC), or Sea Cadets and Deck Cadets
- Persons holding permanent immigration Visas, such as the visas of UK, USA and Australia.
- Persons possessing two or three years’ diploma from any institute recognized by the National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) or State Council of Vocational Training (SCVT).
- Qualified Nurses, recognized under the Indian Nursing Council Act, 1947.
- Persons above the age of 50 years.
- All persons who have been staying abroad for more than three years (the period of three years could be either in one stretch or broken) and their spouses.
- Children up to 18 years of age.
You are required to apply for ECNR stamp when -
Travelling to any of the below countries; and do not already have ECNR stamp on your passport or ECR is endorsed on your passport.
United Arab Emirates (UAE), The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Malaysia, Libya, Jordan, Brunei, Yemen, Sudan, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Syria, Lebanon, Thailand and Iraq.
How to File Application for ECNR Stamp:
- Fill a Miscellaneous Application form (EAP-2). Download it from here http://www.cgihk.gov.in/pdf/EAP2.pdf
- Submit the application in person or through a representative (having an authority letter duly signed by you) or by registered post.
How much time does it take to process the ECNR application
ECNR stamping process take 3-4 days.
You are required to pay an all-inclusive fee of Rs.300/- along with submission of the application form. The fees can be paid by Cash or Bank Draft drawn in favor of Regional Passport Officer of your city.
1. Indian passport holders who have the stamp of ECNR do not require emigration clearance from POE for going to any country.
2. In case of bank draft for fees payment, write full name of the applicant and application number on the reverse of the bank draft.
- Passport (valid at least for six months)
- Valid Employment Visa in Original
- Contract Duly Signed by Foreign Employer
- Valid Pravasi Bhartiya Bima Policy 2006
- Affidavit from Candidate Declaring Genuineness of Documents
- Attested two photocopies of the proof that the applicant is entitled for ECNR. Also carry the original along with you.
- Proof of address like a utility bill or bank statement. A ration card is NOT sufficient address.
- Two photocopies of the first four and last four pages of the passport.
Protector of Emigrants (PoE) offices for Emigration clearance:
- Protector of Emigrant Office New Delhi
Jaisalmer House, Canteen Block, Mansingh Road, New Delhi Tel No. 011-2338 2472
- Protector of Emigrant Office Mumbai
Building “E” Khira Nagar, S.V. Road, Santacruz (West), Mumbai-400 054 Tel No. 022-2614 7393
- Protector of Emigrant Office Kolkata
Room No. 116 A Wing, 3rd MSO Building, DF Block, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 064 Tel No. 033-2334 3407
- Protector of Emigrant Office Chennai Tamil Nadu
Housing Board Complex, Ashok Nagar, Chennai-600 083 Tel No. 044-2489 1337
- Protector of Emigrant Office Hyderabad
8th Floor, Chandra Vihar Complex, Opp. Exhibition Ground, M.J. Road, Hyderabad.
- Protector of Emigrant Office Trivandrum
Suganth, 24/846 (I), Thycaud,Trivandrum-695 014 Tel No. 0471-2324835
- Protector of Emigrant Office Chandigarh Kendriya Sadan, 5th Block, Ground Floor, Sector-9-A,Chandigarh Tel No. 0172-2741790
- Protector of Emigrant Office Cochin
3RD Floor Putherickal Building, Market Road, Ernakulam. Kerala 682035 Tel. No. 0484-2360187
- Protector of Emigrant Office Jaipur
Hall No.3, RIICO CFC Building, Sitapura Industrial Area, Sitapura, Jaipur-302022
Emergency ECNR :
The immigration officer at the airport can grant exemption, in case of emergency. Please Note: Only one time exemption is granted in emergency situation.
List of persons eligible to travel to the ECR countries in case of emergency:
- VIPs like Central and State Ministers, MPs, MLAs etc and their family members.
- Central and State Government Officers traveling on diplomatic/official passport or passport with ECNR endorsement and their family members accompanying them
- Students going abroad for higher studies, provided they furnish documentary proof in support of their admission in the foreign country
- Persons going abroad due to sudden demise of any of their relatives in a foreign country.
- Persons going abroad for medical treatment due to accident or health problem of self or any of their relatives in a foreign country.
- Sports persons representing the country in International competitions/training/coaching program provided their foreign visit is duly approved by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
ECR Suspension :
Fill out the ECR Suspension Application Form to visit ECR countries with ECR status. Apart from replacing an ECR stamp from your passport, you can also remove it by suspension. Remember, this applies to visits only.
- ECR Suspension Application Form.
- Your current passport, original and one copy.
- Photocopy of visa.
- Photocopy of your confirmed return travel tickets.
- For Middle-East countries, sponsorship declaration attested by Indian Mission/Consulate. For countries other than Middle-East countries, FTS.
- Proof of address.
Fees: Rs. 400.00