I had attended a H1B renewal interview at Mumbai consulate along with my wife. A consulate officer gave me a blue form (221g) and requested most of the documents listed in the blue form from employer as well as few documents from my side. I was horrified because of number reasons. First and foremost reason was, I was supposed to be on vacation of 2 weeks. Considering 2 weeks vacation, I had left all my life (rented house with lot of stuff, car, etc.) back in states. Fortunately my employer was very supportive in this situation. The employer arranged all the documents in 2-3 days and shipped to me. Below is the chronology.
1. H1B renewal interview - 01/24/2012: blue form
2. Submitted all the requested documents - 01/31/2012
3. Received first response from the consulate - 02/07/2012: Requested to submit passport
4. Passport submitted - 02/08/2012
5. Passport received with Visa stamped - 02/11/2012
Bottom line is, please do not press panic button. I can understand that it is very normal to be panic in this situation but unfortunately nothing much we can do except taking care of requested documents. Believe me, I had lost quite a few lbs in these days. The wait time is not pleasant at all.
All the best. Hope for the best!