Get Quotes Compare plans
Visitors and Travelers 

Medical Insurance 

For USA Visiting Parents Relatives & Friends

Home | Contact us | Help Need Help? Call: 866-384-9104



Insurance Plans
Europe Visa Travel Insurance

Student Medical Plans

Dental & Vision Discount Cards

New Immigrant Plans

Insurance for H1 Workers & Family

Visitors Insurance Reviews
Visitors Insurance Reviews
Educational Videos
Visitors Insurance Videos
The ABC of
Visitors Medical Insurance
Type of Plans
What Types of Plans?
Buyers Dilemma
Which Plan to Buy?
Useful Tips:
Smart Buyer Tips
How Does it Work?
Policy Usage
Pre-Existing Conditions?
Visitor Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
Purchase/Claim Process
Purchase Process
Claim Process
Glossary of Terms
Insurance Terminology
User Experience
See what other users have to say about Visitors Medical insurance.
Discuss It, Ask Questions
Discussion Forum
Frequently Asked Questions
Visitors Insurance FAQs
Home > Knowledge Center > Green Card Insurance

Visitors Insurance for Green Card Holders and New Immigrants to the U.S.

For green card holders and new immigrants to the U.S. there are many unique circumstances that can directly impact their eligibility for domestic health insurance, making it difficult to find adequate health insurance coverage upon entering the country and awaiting enrollment. Visitors insurance can be a great solution for new immigrants entering the U.S. for the first time, or green card holders who are living outside of the U.S. but planning to visit for a short period of time.

Finding adequate coverage that best fits your needs begins with determining your own eligibility:

  • Green Card Holders living permanently in the U.S:

    Under the Affordable Care Act, you are required to have some form of health insurance if you are a green card holder living permanently in the U.S. If you have missed the enrollment period for domestic health insurance however, you may purchase a short-term health insurance plan as a supplement until you are eligible to enroll.

  • Green Card Holders who frequently travel between the U.S. and their home country:

    In this situation, you will need to purchase a visitors insurance plan that meets the criteria for green card holders shuttling back and forth between the U.S. and home country as the Affordable Care Act requirements may not apply if you spend more than 330 days per year outside of the U.S.

  • New Immigrants who just obtained their green card upon their recent arrival:

    In this situation, you can consider new immigrant insurance or short-term health insurance to provide you with temporary coverage as you settle down and await eligibility for domestic health insurance.

Whether you are a green card holder who lives permanently in the U.S., a green card holder who frequently travels between your home country and the U.S., or a new immigrant who just obtained your green card upon recently arriving to the U.S., having medical protection is a high priority in not only protecting your health and well being, but your finances as well.