Required Documents for I-130 Petition from Sponsor

The following are documents you (the US citizen sponsor) need to send with your I-130 petition form - Requirements concurrent with Step 1.

  • Proof of your (the petitioner's) legal status

    Proof of US citizenship with copy of birth certificate if born in the US, or copy of citizenship naturalization certificate, or copy of US passport.
    If permanent resident, then a copy of your green card.

  • Proof of family relationship

    Click here to see what documents can be used as proof of relationship.

  • The USCIS Filing Fee

    $190.00USD for processing fee for the I-130 petition. This fee is non-refundable and is charged regardless of the petition being approved or not.

  • G-28 (Notice of Appearance for the Attorney or Representative)

    You need to send this form only if you are represented by an attorney.
    If filing for your spouse additional documents are required

  • 2 G-325A Forms Biographic Data Sheets

    Completed and signed G-325A Forms, one with your information and one with your fiance's.

  • Prior Marriage Nullification Documents

    A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if either you or your fiancé(e) have been previously married.

  • Colored Photographs

    A passport-style color photo of yourself and a passport-style color photo of your husband or wife, taken within 30 days of the date of this petition. The photos must have a white background and be glossy, unretouched and not mounted. The dimensions of the full frontal facial image should be about 1 inch from the chin to top of the hair. Using pencil or felt pen, lightly print the name (and Alien Registration Number, if known) on the back of each photograph.

Required Documents for Visa Application

After the beneficiary (the alien relative) has received a visa number from the Department of State, they will apply for an immigrant visa with a US consulate in their home country. The following are Requirements concurrent with Step 4.

  • Affidavit of Support, Form I-864 - The petitioner/sponsor must provide an Affidavit of Support, Form I-864.
  • Valid Passport for all applicants
  • Birth certificates
  • Police certificates, and other civil documents.
  • Medical Examinations
    Before the issuance of an immigrant visa, every applicant, regardless of age, must undergo a medical examination. The examination will be conducted by a doctor designated by the consular officer. Costs for such examinations must be borne by the applicant, in addition to the visa fees.

The consular officer will inform visa applicants of the documents needed as their applications are processed.

Fees for I-130 Petition and Immigration Visa

  • For I-130 Petition: $535.00 USD
    This fee is non-refundable and is charged regardless of the petition being approved or not. This fee is payable while you file I-130 petition within US to USCIS.
  • For Immigration Visa: $220 USD
    Fees must be paid for each intending immigrant regardless of age, and are not refundable. Local currency equivalents are acceptable. Fees should not be sent to the consular office unless requested specifically.

    Since immigration visa will be provided at the foreign country where the beneficiary (applicant) resides, immigration visa fee and other related processes will depend on the local applicable US consulate.

Note: Fee is subject to change based on US immigration regulations. Please check with concerned authorities to confirm the right fee at the time you are filing the application.

Further or Specific Visa Inquires

  • Questions on visa application procedures and visa ineligibilities should be made to the American consular office abroad by the applicant. Before submitting your inquiry, we request that you carefully review this web site and also the Embassy Consular web site abroad. Very often you will find the information you need.
  • If your inquiry concerns a visa case in progress overseas, you should first contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate handling your case for status information. Select U.S. Embassy or Consulate , and you can choose the Embassy or Consulate Internet site you need to contact.