The SAT stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test and is a standardized test for college and university admissions in the United States. Foreign students who plan to study in USA may be required to register for SAT.

The SAT is owned and published by the College Board for college admissions in the USA and is administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS) on behalf of College Board. SAT testing is intended to assess students academic readiness for college by analyzing their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

SAT Registration

You can register for the SAT test through SAT registration online or by mail.

A. Register Online

  • Go to the College Board website.
  • Click Register Now.
  • Create a College Board profile.
  • Choose your test date and center in real time.
  • Upload a photo.
  • Pay the fee via credit card.
  • Receive your registration confirmation.
  • Access your registration for printing or correcting your Admission Ticket.

B. Register by Postal Mail

You should register by mail if one of the following applies to you.

  • You want to pay by check or money order;
  • There is no test center near your home;
  • You are younger than 13;
  • You want to register for Sunday testing for religious reasons; or
  • Online registration is not available in your country.

The process to register by mail is as follows.

  • Obtain a copy of the SAT Paper Registration Guide from the school counselor's office. The guide includes a registration form and a return envelope.
  • Find the College Board code numbers for college majors college and scholarship programs, test centers, and high schools you are interested in. You will need these code numbers to fill in the form.
  • Submit a photo and fee along with your registration form to the address on the return envelope.

SAT Registration Fees

The basic SAT registration fee is USD 60.

There are additional fees for changing dates and test centers as well as for being waitlisted.

SAT testing is usually only required for undergraduate admissions. If you are applying to graduate school in USA, you may be required to take the GRE Test, which is for graduate university admissions.