How do I schedule a visa interview?

Refer Article: US Visa - Scheduling an Appointment

How can I change my interview date once I have already scheduled it?

You may reschedule your interview date only once by logging in to your profile on If you wish to reschedule a second time, you will be asked to first cancel your appointment before taking a new appointment using the same fee receipt. You may schedule a new appointment within 30 days of canceling your application.

Do you have any provision for an emergency appointment? I have to travel immediately?

Emergency appointments can be granted on a limited basis for medical or humanitarian basis emergencies only. You will be asked to do a self-validation check based on the purpose of the emergency and directed to a priority appointment calendar. It is essential that you be in possession of the required documentation before you make this request. Please be aware that false statements about the need for an emergency appointment may adversely affect the case credibility during the visa interview.

Read more about US Visa Emergency Appointment

What do I do in a life and death emergency situations for activating the receipt? I cannot wait and need to travel immediately.

On account of Medical Care or Funeral/Death, if the travel has to take place within the next 3 days, contact the United States consulate by calling or contacting USTravelDocs.

What's the difference in Visa application fee and Visa issuance fee?

Visa application fee is mandatory for all types of visa applications. This is against the administration and logistics for the visa interview process.

In addition to the mandatory visa application fee, a visa issuance fee needs to be paid only in the event of visa application approval. (This fee is waived for certain categories of non-immigrant visas, like student visa.)

What is the Rush Service?

Refer Article: After Visa - Receiving Passport

I got married recently and would like my wife to accompany me. I have an appointment for next week but my wife doesn't. What do I do?

You need to make a separate visa interview appointment for you wife.

I have taken appointments for my family and myself. Do I have to bring my minor children for the interview?

Yes. Personal appearance for all visa applicants is mandatory, including minors and seniors.

I got my passport back yesterday with a visa stamped on it. But I found that my name/ date of birth are wrong. How do I fix it?

The consulate follows the passport information to issue the visa. However, if you find any incorrect information in the visa, contact the consulate asap. There is no cost for fixing typographical mistakes that are the fault of the U.S. Consulate.

I came for a visa interview yesterday and I was given a Form 221(g) and was asked to bring some additional details or was told that my case was pending for administrative processing. The same form says I can reappear without making another appointment on certain days of the week. I would like to know how long this letter is valid for me to reappear for another interview without an appointment.

You are advised to follow instructions as given by the Officer at the time of interview. You may re-appear when you are ready with the required documents within one year from the date of your original application. After that date, you would need to make a new appointment and pay the required application fee again. (There's a time slot reserved for such cases and vary from consulate to consulate. Check with the applicable consulate for the timings.)

If the officer has checked the box that the case is pending for administrative processing, then the applicant will need to wait for further instructions from the Consulate about completion of his or her case. In many instances, the delay is due to some further processing, i.e. name checking or fingerprint check, and may take several weeks to resolve. Applicants will be notified as soon as the processing is complete and whether the visa can then be approved.

I came for an interview yesterday and the officer did not return my documents ie my I-797 letter/ degree certificates/ marriage certificates etc. What should I do?

The Consular Officer generally returns all documents to the applicant at the end of the visa interview. However, if any documents have been left behind, these papers are normally mailed out to the applicant at the address he/she has mentioned on the application form. It's recommened that you remind the consular officer at the end of the interview and collect all your origional documents. Contact consulate by calling Or contact VFS and request for the help.

I was working for X company and am now working for another company Y. I have a valid B1/B2 from the old company X. I need to travel right away. Can I use the old visa or do I have to apply for a new visa?

As per the general guidelines, Yes, you may travel on the old visa. However please be advised that you may be stopped at the port of entry by the immigration officer and may have to give a detailed explanation as to why you are traveling on the old visa. However you may apply for a new B1/B2 if you want.

I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. May I apply for my U.S. visa?

Please get a new passport, as regulations require at least 6 months validity on a passport before we can issue a visa.

I currently have a valid US visa. Do I need to be electronically fingerprinted at the visa section before I travel to the United States?

No. You will be electronically fingerprinted at a Port of Entry on arrival in the US. If you are applying for a visa; you will be fingerprinted at the Consular section, during your visa interview.

I need to renew my recently expired non-immigrant visa. What should I do?

A US non-immigrant visa cannot be renewed. You must apply for a new visa to replace an expired one. You may schedule an appointment for a personal interview.

How long may I stay in the United States?

The US Department of Homeland Security Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) inspector at the port of entry decides your length of stay in the United States. The date of stay will be given on form I-94.

I still have a valid US non-immigrant visa but my Indian passport has expired. Can I transfer this visa to my new passport?

No. If you are holding a valid US non-immigrant visa in an expired Indian passport, you may carry both your expired and new Indian passport together and travel between India and the United States until the non-immigrant visa expires. You do not need to obtain a new non-immigrant visa.

What are the penalties for overstaying?

A nonimmigrant who remains in the United States beyond the authorized period of stay or who violates his or her nonimmigrant status may become subject to arrest and deportation.

My visa is refused, will I get my fee refunded?

NO. Visa application fee is not refundable.

How do I reapply after a visa has been refused?

- If refused under 221g:

Follow the instructions that were given to you at the time of your refusal.

If you have been requested to wait until the Consulate contacts you, please do not make an appointment. Your case requires further administrative processing and the Consulate will contact you once this has been completed.

- If refused under 214(b)

If you have been refused under Section 214(b) you have to reapply. Take a new appointment and follow the same process

My visa is refused (hold) and I was told it requires additional Administrative processing. What is the Administrative Processing? and How long does it takes?

As a result of ongoing review of visa practices by the State Department and other U.S. agencies in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, visa applications are subject to a greater degree of scrutiny than in the past, which means that in some instances visa applications may take longer to process. You will be advised at the time of the interview if your application requires additional processing, which involves name check, fingerprints check, document verification, police and law enforcement record check, criminal and background history check, etc.

Most special clearances are resolved within 30 days of application. When additional special clearances or administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on individual circumstances of each case.

On occasion there could be additional processing sometimes taking up to 60 days or more which cannot be expedited. Therefore, you are advised not to make any final travel plans until you have received your passport with a visa in it.

Disclaimer: Information provided on this page is general in nature and subject to change without any prior notice. This information is for your convenience and does not constitute any legal advice. Certain rules and process may vary from consulate to consulate. Please check with the applicable consulate and concerned authorities before making any decision.