Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for L2 visa holders
L2 visa holder are eligible to work in USA, with a permission or approved EAD card. An approved EAD allows to work or business.
To obtain an EAD card, you must file the following documents with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):
- E-file I-765 your application online or Download and Complete Form I-765 , Application for Employment Authorization Document Online.
- Filing fee - Check or money order for $380( As of Nov, 23, 2010).
- Two identical color photographs as per the acceptable specifications.
- Copy of your current passport
- Copy of the USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document issued to you when you entered the U.S.
- Copy of L1 petition , I94 as a evidence that you are a spouse of the principal visa holder.
E- Filing for Employment Authorization Application
EAD application can also be filed electronically online at USCIS website.
Helpful links :
- Employment authorization Form I-765 information Guide and instructions.
If you are E-Filing Form I-765, you do NOT need to submit paper photographs. However, you will need to go to one of USCIS’ Application Support Centers for the electronic capture of a photograph, fingerprints and signature.
What after filing the case?
Once you file the case, USCIS will send you a receipt with a receipt number( 13 digit) this is your case number. The approximate processing time will be indicated on the receipt. It can take few weeks to several weeks to process your case.
You can Check EAD Status online at USCIS using case/receipt number.
Or call National Customer Service Center 1-800-375-5283
Note: If you do not hear from USCIS within 90 days, you can go to the nearest USCIS by taking an infopass appointment and obtain an interim EAD card.
Once you case is approved you will receive a plastic EAD card. The validly period of this EAD will be written on the EAD card.
The validity of EAD is also depends on the primary L1 holders L1 status, if the spouse lost his/her L1 status , the L2 becomes void and hence the EAD becomes invalid too.