Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for L2 visa holders
L2 visa holder are eligible to work in USA, with a permission or approved EAD card. An EAD card is not required for employment, but it is recommended to apply for an EAD in order to establish employment authorization.
EAD Application Process
The process to obtain an EAD card is outlined below.
1. File your application.
- E-file I-765 your application online, or
- Download and CompleteForm I-765. Mail a paper application at the filing address associated with the corresponding eligibility category.
2. Pay all applicable fees.
- If you e-file your application, pay the fee by credit card, debit card, or electronic transfer of funds from a checking or savings account from a US bank.
- If you mail your application, pay the fee by check or money order.
3. Submit the following documents
- Two identical color photographs as per the acceptable specifications. If you are E-Filing Form I-765, you do not need to submit paper photographs. However, you will need to go to a USCIS Application Support Center for the electronic capture of a photograph, fingerprints, and signature.
- Copy of your current passport
- Copy of the USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document, issued to you when you entered the US
- Copy of L-1 petition I-94 as evidence that you are a spouse of the principal L-1 visa holder
E- Filing for Employment Authorization Application
EAD application can also be filed electronically online at USCIS website.
Helpful links :
- Employment authorization Form I-765 information Guide and instructions.
If you are E-Filing Form I-765, you do NOT need to submit paper photographs. However, you will need to go to one of USCIS’ Application Support Centers for the electronic capture of a photograph, fingerprints and signature.
After Filing for EAD
Once you file the case, USCIS will send you a receipt with a receipt number (13 digit). This is your case number. The approximate processing time will be indicated on the receipt. It may take anywhere from a few weeks to several weeks to process your case.
You can Check EAD Status online at USCIS using case/receipt number or call National Customer Service Center 1-800-375-5283.
Note: If you do not hear from USCIS within 90 days, you can go to the nearest USCIS by making an infopass appointment and obtain an interim EAD card.
Once you case is approved you will receive a plastic EAD card. The validity period of this EAD will be written on the EAD card.
Your employment authorization document is valid for two years and may be renewed as long as your spouse has valid L-1 visa status. If a spouse loses his/her L1 status, the L2 visa becomes void and hence the EAD becomes invalid too.