Indian passport renewal in USA
If you are holding an Indian passport which is about to expire soon or all the pages are filled, you may need to apply for a passport reissue/ renewal. Also, if your passport completed 10 years, you must apply for a new passport. In all these cases, you will require a new passport or validity extension. To renew your passport, you have to fill a new passport application form. New passports can be reissued for 10 years for adults. For minors (under 18 Years of age) the passport is given for 5years. Please note that your old passport will be returned to you. However, if you have any valid visas stamped on the passport they will not be canceled.Note Passport renewal service is not available for B1/B2 visa holders and temporary visitors to USA
Process for renewing Indian passportEffective April 16, 2012, Indian Passport services ( Renewal, extension etc) is now handled by VFS Global. individuals Indian consulate will no longer accepting passport related services directly. All applications and communication related to Indian passport renewal must be through VFSGlobal. See more information and process details at : http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/usa/
- Complete information and process at VFSGloabl passport services for USA: http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/usa/
- Complete the online application form. You may be required to take a print out once you submit the form. Please keep the printer ready.
- 2 photographs (color, front facing, 2" X 2") Staple one in the provided space on the application form if you are applying in person, and give one in the Indian consulate.
- Attach a copy of Green Card or Employment Authorization card or copy of legal status in the US such as H1B/ B1/ B2 Visa, etc.
- Attach the original passport and originals of all the supporting documents.
- Pay the online fee. A non-refundable fee of $ 40 (forty) is usually charged for normal 36-page booklet.
- If you are applying in person, you should take a copy of your online application and carry all the documents on the date of appointment.
- If you are sending the application by mail, please ensure that you send a trackable return mailing envelope (e.g. Fedex, UPS, USPS, etc.) to ensure traceability of documents. Also, attach a covering letter [Sample Cover letter ] requesting the consulate to renew your passport.
- If the Indian passport has expired beyond a period of six months, you may be required to attach a notarized Affidavit. Details are provided on the Indian Embassy websites.
- If applying in person or via mail, please ensure that all photocopies of supporting documents are notarized.
Extending the validity or renewal of an existing passport
This service discontinued : from June 2012.
All applicants will have to apply for fresh passport.
Normally all passports have a limit of 10 years or 20 years. In case you are holding a short validity Passport, you should apply for a passport renewal.
How to apply for Indian passport renewal?
All applications for Indian passport renewal can be submitted either personally or via mail to VFS global( the passport service provider in US). If you are sending your application by mail, use track able Certified/Registered/overnight mail. Also include a self-addressed stamped envelope or a prepaid overnight express mail envelope.
If you are applying in person, then the fee can be paid in cash at the counter of the Embassy/Consulate.
Where to apply for Indian passport renewal?
Following are the details with applicable addresses and jurisdiction based on your residence in USA, please apply accordingly.
Indian passport renewal at Washinton DC
Submission Timings: -0900 Hrs. – 1200 Hrs. 1300 Hrs. – 1530 Hrs.
Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia
Indian passport renewal at New York
Submission Timings: 0900 Hrs. - 1400 Hrs.
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virgin Islands.
Indian passport renewal at Chicago
Submission Timings: 0900 Hrs – 1400 Hrs.
IIllinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin.
Indian passport renewal at Houston (TX)
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas.
Indian passport renewal at San Francisco (CA)
Submission Timings: 0900 Hrs. -1300 Hrs and 1400Hrs. – 1600 Hrs
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.
Lost/ Damaged Indian Passport
The following documents are required to be submitted along with form for a duplicate Passport:
- A letter explaining how the passport was lost or damaged.
- Police report about the loss of Passport.
- 6 photographs (color, front facing, 2" X 2"). One photograph is to be pasted on the application and notarized.
- Six copies of the "Personal Particulars Pro forma" from the Embassy/Consulate. This is also called 'Personal Verification Form'.
- Letter from School/ College (if you are a student).
- Copy of previous (lost) Passport.
- School/ Birth certificate.
- Copies of Driver license/ employer s letter (as applicable).
- Copies of Green card/ Employment authorization as applicable (the original will have to be produced at the Consulate/ Embassy, if demanded).
- Copy of Bank certificate/ Insurance policy as a proof of stay in USA from the date indicated in your application.
- Fee for lost/damaged passport is $125.
- Step 1. Fill the online passport application. Usually there is a service required box. Select the 'New Passport in lieu of Damaged/Lost Passport' option.
- Step 2 Complete online application
- Step 3 Attach the supporting documents. Original Police Report reporting loss of passport should also be attached.
- Step 4 Attach the following to the application if you want to add your spouse's name to your passport include the following:
- Original Indian passport of both spouses.
- Copy of marriage photographs and marriage invitation card;
- Indian marriage certificate (with official translation, if in a language other than English)
- an affidavit signed and notarized by both spouses. If you are going in person, you will not need this affidavit.
- Step 5 If your lost passport had already expired beyond a period of six months, you will have to submit a notarized affidavit. A link is usually available on the Embassy website.
- Step 6 Get notarized affidavit from two Indian passport holders, who have valid residential status in the USA (they should not be short term visitors)
- Step 7 A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India, San Francisco, explaining the circumstances of the loss of passport
- Step 8 Show Proof of Status of residence
- Step 9 Pay the fee
- Step 10 Expect 30 business days from the date the application as processing time.
Online application for Indian passport renewal:
You can complete the Indian passport application for a new Or renewal online here at the following website:
After the application filled and completed online, take a printout of completed application. Irrespective of the date of appointment generated on the application, mail the completed application with supporting documents; passport fee; and/or Tatkal fee, and; self-addressed envelope or return mailing fee to respective applicable Indian consulate/embassy in USA.
Tracking your Indian passport renewal statusYou can track your passport renewal and re issue status Online at VFS website. After you have submitted your passport application you can track the progress and status here. https://www.vfsglobalonline.com/IHC-USA-TRACKER/
- All fee amount, application forms and rules are subject to change. Verify the current fee on the Embassy website.
- It is always better to apply for renewal before your passport actually expires.
- Always send you application in a track able Overnight express insured mail, along with a prepaid mail envelope to receive back your passport.
- Always keep the latest copy of your complete passport.
- Keep scanned copies of your passport as well.
- Check the Embassy website for general rules.
- Indian Embassy and Indian Consulates in US
- Tatkaal Passport
- PIO Card (Person of Indian origin)
- Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)
- Applying for US Passport for Newborn in US