How to Electronically Register Your H1-B 2021 Petition – Process & Deadlines Explained
The new H1-B electronic registration is official. And USCIS has rolled out a mandatory process with deadlines that every prospective petitioner has to abide by if they are applying for the H1-B 2021 lottery cap. Understanding and following the new electronic registration process is important for H1-B petitioners to qualify for the final lottery selection.
Who Has to Register for The H1-B 2021 Lottery-cap
All H1-B cap-subject and advanced degree-exempt petitioners must first electronically register with USCIS within the stipulated timelines to be considered for the final lottery selection.
When to Register for The H1-B 2021 Lottery-cap
The registration period starts on March 1, 2020, and ends March 20, 2020. Given that this is the first time this process is being rolled out, USCIS reserves the right to extend or reopen the registration, if necessary. Should this happen, stay tuned to our blogs for all H1-B related updates regarding new dates.
What is The Process for Registering for the H1-B 2021 Lottery
- Starting February 24, 2020, all petitioning employers have to create an account as a ‘new registrant’ on the USCIS website. This will generate a unique account number for that specific employer.
- Starting noon of March 1, 2020, the petitioning employers can register each of their employees for a non-refundable $10 fee.
- Each employee requires a separate registration and a $10 fee each.
- Registration period ends on March 20, 2020.
Are you Electronically Registering for the H1-B Lottery Cap?
Here’s a list of all the documents you will need for the electronic registration
Results of the Electronic Registration of The H1-B 2021 Lottery-cap
- Starting March 21, 2020, USCIS will vet the registered applicants and select the ones that will be eligible to file a formal and complete H-1B cap-subject petition.
- These registrants will be notified of their selection through their USCIS accounts until March 31, 2020.
- The beneficiaries will also be notified through their legal representatives either through email or text messages.
Final Steps After Electronic Registration of H1-B Petition
- Starting April 1, 2020, formal and detailed H1-B petitions can be filed by the ones approved by USCIS.
- Petitioners will have 90 days to file the entire petition. Given that these dates are fluid, you are advised to have it completed and submitted at the earliest possible date.
Important Electronic Registration Dates for the H1-B 2021 Lottery-cap
- February 24, 2020: Petitioners can begin creating accounts with USCIS
- March 1– 20, 2020: Electronic registrations begin at noon
- March 21- 31, 2020: USCIS selects 85,000 applicants
- April 1 2020: USCIS announces results of their selection.
- April 2 – June 30, 2020: Selected petitioners can file completed H1-B applications