With the new requirement that everyone using their driver’s license as identification for domestic flights within the US, upgrade to the Real ID that is federally approved, everyone is scrambling to the local DMV office to get this done. And a lot of people have already accomplished this as well. Among them are three million Californians who have to head back to the DMV to provide a second proof of address after the Department of Motor Vehicles failed to ask for it the first time.
Given that the deadline to acquire a Real ID driver license or ID card is October 2020 if they want to board airplanes or enter federal facilities without using a passport, we have a detailed list of all required documents (with examples) that you will require to get this done in one shot:
One Document of Identity: with full name and date of birth
- Valid passport (and current I-94, if applicable)
- US Birth Certificate (Certified, if foreign Birth Certificate)
- Valid Certificate of Naturalization/ US Citizenship
- Valid Green Card
- Valid/unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/expired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C).
One Proof of Social Security
- Original SSN Card
- Pay stub with SSN
- Latest W-2 form
Two Proofs of Current Residence: with residence address and full name matching the name on official ID
- Signed rental lease or home property papers
- Utility bills
- Any financial document issued by a bank, state or federal credit unions, or any institution or entity that has issued a credit card.
- Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
- Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental and vehicle.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) tax return.
- Change of Address Confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service
- Dependents may provide a supporting document like a marriage certificate, if bringing in the primary resident’s proof of address.
You may send in these documents via mail or go directly to the DMV office with an appointment to upgrade the license requirements. Different states may have different deadlines and requirements for the issuing of the Real ID. Confirm this with your local DMV before the fast approaching deadline of October 2020.