There are some mandatory documents required for Indian Passport and there are some additional documents required depending on the passport service availed by the applicant. If the photocopies are required all of them must be notarized. All the documents have to be submitted at the CKGS application center in your jurisdiction. The documents required for Indian Passport application are given below:
A Filled and Signed Checklist.
The checklist is an important document that will help you keep track of the required documents needed for your passport application. Print the checklist, tick it, and arrange the application in that order before submitting the form in person or by post.
Online Application Form filled and signed by the applicant.
All applicants must fill out the online application form online. Take a print out of the form after filling it for you own records.
Copy of the filled Nationality Verification Form
A photograph needs to be attached to the Nationality Verification Form and normally only one form is needed. Exception applies in case of lost/stolen/damaged passport and passport application with expired visa status. In such cases 8 copies of Nationality Verification Form are needed.
- Attach the original passport.
- If the passport is less than 5 years old, attach the previous passport too.
- Attach photocopies of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of the current passport.
3 recent (2" X 2", front facing against a white background) color photographs should be included in the application. 8 photographs are required in case the passport is expired for more than 3 years. Paste one photo on the first page of the online application form in the space provided. The second one has to be pasted on the Nationality Verification Form and the rest have to be stapled to the last page of the application form.
If you want your passport to be returned by mail include a self-addressed USPS Express return envelope in your application form. You must include the correct CKGS generates its own shipping label that should be affixed to either a UPS or Fedex envelope.
For Postal Applicants
- Paste the shipping label emailed to you that has the tracking number and barcode on the outside front of the envelope in which you will send the documents to CKGS.
- Include the Waybill/Tracking Number on the Return Envelope.
Indian Passport Application Fee
Applicable Fee that is non-refundable. See Indian Passport Application Fees section.
What do you need for travel medical insurance?
Notarized Documents Required for Indian Passport
Whether applying in person or via mail, all photocopies of supporting documents have to be notarized. Notarized copies of the following are required for Indian Passport application:
- Proof of Legal Status in the US
Applicants have to attach documents that prove their legal status in the US. Visitors or tourists who are in the US for a short stay cannot avail the passport services in the country. They have to apply for passport re-issue or renewal in India itself.
Applicants can attach a notarized color photocopy of current valid US visa such as H1B/ L1/ L2 Visa, Green Card, Employment Authorization card or I-797 approval notice documents, whichever is applicable. Student visa holders must attach the I-20 document.
- Proof of Residence in the US
You have to give proof of address given in your passport application. You can submit the following notarized copies as proof of residence:
- Notarized photocopy of the residential proof of the applicant such as Home Mortgage Bill, Utility bills, State ID, Driver’s License, or Rental Lease Agreement.
- For applicants above the age of 60 who do not have the above documents, a copy of State ID can be submitted.
- For minors proof of address of any of the legal guardians is accepted.
- Students who live in dorms or campus itself, a letter from their educational institution with the address and original letterhead can be submitted.
- In case the current passport does not include spouse’s name a notarized photocopy of the marriage certificate is required. A copy of the spouse's passport or United States ID is also required in the application.
Some notarized affidavits need to be attached to your Indian Passport application for certain services.
- Notarized No Status Affidavit
If your visa has expired, or if you have the receipt notice for extension on the visa, a notarized no status affidavit and notarized photocopies of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses are required. This is only for New York, San Francisco, and Houston applicants. Atlanta, Washington, Houston, and Chicago applicants must go to the Consulate in person for an interview before applying at their respective passport application center.
- Notarized affidavit for change in name
Female applicants must include notarized affidavit of change in name from maiden to married. If divorced (and remarried), spouse’s name should be replaced.
- Notarized Affidavit for change in appearance
An affidavit form for change of appearance and current notarized photo are required if the applicant’s appearance has changed significantly from the appearance in the current passport. This is especially applicable for re-issue of passport after 10 years or minors passports.
- Notarized Affidavit for Minor's Passport
A notarized affidavit from the parents is required to apply for the minor child's passport.
- For Houston Jurisdiction
A notarized 4-point affidavit is required from Houston applicants if their passport has expired for more 6 months.
Letters of Authority
Various letters are required depending on the kind of passport service you require:
- A letter of authority is required from the applicant in case he or she chooses a representative to apply for the passport. Sample Letter of Authority. The same letter is required for minor's passport in case one of the parents cannot be present in person.
- If the passport is expired for less than 6 months a self-explanation letter is required from the applicant explaining “why the passport was not renewed in required time frame."
Some additional documents may be required depending on the service you require. Also check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction if more documents are required for your Indian passport application.