Once your legal stay is over you should leave USA. Leaving USA in timely and allowed manner is legally required and also helpful in all your future entries into USA.
Do some preparation before getting ready to leave the US
- Make a couple of photocopies of your I-94 and passport/visa and keep them safely. Keeping a copy in your hand baggage is always useful. These duplicate documents are useful in case you lose your passport etc. If you are a visiting parent/relative it's a good idea to give a copy to your son/daughter. These documents may also be useful for your future visits to the US.
- Check with the airlines for luggage weight limits and prepare your luggage accordingly. It is always better to be informed and save yourself time and frustration, since the airlines do not allow excess weight and you may have to pay extra dollars for exceeding the limit.
- If you are carrying any gifts, make sure you are aware of the custom rules of your country, so that you don't have to face any issues at customs in your country.
- At the day of departure, reach the airport at least 2hrs before departure time, since you need some time for checking etc.
Once you reach the airport
Look for your airline checking counter.
Following are few important things you must do and are required by the US immigration law.
- . Handover your I-94 to the airline staff at the airline checking counter. When you do so, make sure that the airline person has taken out the I-94 stub. If they have not taken it out, ask them to do so.
Note : Effective May 6, 2007, international visitors will no longer be required to use the US-VISIT exit when they leave the United States. International visitors who received a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, upon arrival must still return the form to an airline or ship representative when departing the United States.
Once you reach your destination/home country
- You may have to go through the immigration check counter
- You may be required to fill some customs and immigration clearance forms for your country
For Indian citizens, on going back to India, you will have to fill a form called Arrival or Disembarkation form.