The GRE Subject Tests are achievement tests that measure undergraduate students knowledge in a particular field of study. GRE subject tests are intended for students who have majored in a specific subject and want to highlight their knowledge of that subject when applying to graduate schools in USA.
Unlike the GRE General Test, the GRE subject tests are given under a limited schedule and format. GRE subject test dates are offered 3 times a year, worldwide, in October, November, and April. Currently, the GRE subject tests are paper-based and are not available for computerized testing.
GRE Subject Tests are currently offered for the following seven disciplines.
1. Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
4. Literature in English
Note: The GRE computer science subject test was discontinued after the April 2013 administration.
GRE Subject Test Registration
You can register for a GRE Subject Test in the following ways.
A. Register Online
Online GRE subject test registration consists of the following steps.
- Create a My GRE Account. The name you use when you create your My GRE Account must exactly match your identification documents because it will also be used when you register for a GRE test.
- Make payment by credit/debit card (American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA), E-Check (drawn against U.S. bank accounts only), or PayPal.
If registering online, you should consider the following points.
- Online registration is not available for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs requesting accommodations.
- Online registration is not available for test takers requesting a fee reductionsstandby testing, orMonday testing.
- For testing in Nigeria, only VISA and PayPal are accepted; American Express, Discover, JCB, and MasterCard are NOT accepted.
B. Register by Postal Mail
The following steps outline the process of registering by mail for a GRE Subject Test.
- Download and complete theRegistration Form, allowing processing for up to four weeks.
- Mail the form with payment to the address printed on the form.
- Make the payment via credit/debit card, money order or certified check (American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA).
If registering by mail, consider the following points.
- The form must be received at ETS by theregistration deadline.
- For testing in Nigeria, only VISA is accepted; American Express, Discover, JCB, and MasterCard are NOT accepted.
GRE Subject Test Fees
The basic registration fee for GRE Subject Test is USD $130.
Fee Reduction Program
Under the Fee Reduction Program, the testing fee reduces to USD $65. This program is available on first-come, first-served basis for college seniors and un-enrolled college graduates who demonstrate need for fee reduction.
Repeating a Subject Test
It may be to your advantage to take a GRE Subject Test more than once if you think that the scores you obtained do not reflect your true abilities. If your scores seem unusually low in comparison with other indicators of your preparedness for graduate studies, you may want to consider taking the test again. Those considering repeating a test should be aware that large score increases are unusual, and for some test takers scores will go down. Keep in mind that score reports will include test results obtained within the past five-year period.You may take GRE subject tests as often as they are offered.