I-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS) Process

HomeUS Visa & ImmigrationI-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS) Process

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is the final stage of Green Card. After the completion of this process, the applicant becomes a lawful permanent resident of the US.

An applicant can opt either for I-485 or Consular Processing (CP):

  • File Form I-485 – In this case, the applicant can file for adjustment of status using form I-485 for him/herself and family members while remain in US.
  • Consular Processing – In this case, applicant can apply for adjustment of status at the US Consulate office in their home country (please see our separate section on Consular Processing for further details).

What Documents are Required to File for I-485 AoS?

The following is a generic list of documents required for applying for I-485/AoS application:

  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Birth Certificate
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa
  • Color photographs as per new guidelines
  • Fingerprints (USCIS will notify when and where to provide fingerprints)
  • Fee: non-refundable (see fee schedule below) by check or money order
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information (for those between the ages of 14 and 79 years)
  • Employment Letter – on employer’s letterhead. This letter should confirm that the job on which the visa petition is based is available to you and it should mention your salary
  • Copy of your I-797 Notice of Action, showing that your I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, has been received or approved by INS
  • Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status (must be completed by the USCIS authorized physician)
  • Form G-28 Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative. This will enable your lawyer to represent you.
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization or EAD (optional, if you want Employment Authorization while the case is pending)
  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Optional, if you want Travel document in case may have to travel out of the USA while case is pending)
  • You might be required to submit copies of marriage or divorce certificate, death certificate (of spouse), birth certificates for children and certified copies of any arrests or criminal records, depending on your case

Other than these, there may be more documents required and depends on your individual case. An immigration lawyer should be consulted for any further requirements.

Medical Examination

All Adjustment of Status applicants must pass a medical examination conducted by a civil surgeon approved by the USCIS. You can find a USCIS approved doctor in your area online, or you can contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 to find an approved civil surgeon in your area.

The civil surgeon will record the results of the examination on Form I-693 and place in a sealed envelope which should be submitted to USCIS along with your I-485 application.

You are responsible for paying all doctor and laboratory fees for the exam. You must carry your passport (or other form of photo identification) and your medical and vaccination history. If a condition is diagnosed which makes you inadmissible, you may still be eligible for immigration after completing treatment for the condition.


When applying for Adjustment of Status, you will be fingerprinted so the USCIS can check for FBI and criminal records. The USCIS accepts fingerprint cards prepared only by authorized sites such as Application Support Centers (ASCs), US Consular offices, and military installations abroad. Once you file for I-485, the USCIS will send you a letter with an appointment for fingerprinting and biometrics for a green card at the nearest ASC location. You must have the letter with you when you go in for biometrics. There is a $85 fee per person. Once your biometrics are taken, you will be issued a card FD-258.


You should not submit the FD-258 card with your application. If you do so, the card will be rejected and you will have to go in for fingerprinting again.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD), USCIS Form I-765

Your eligible family members such as a spouse can apply for an EAD. An approved EAD allows for work or business to the secondary applicant (spouse) in the US. The primary applicant may take up a part-time job or start a business as long as he or she continues working for the employer who filed for the Green Card.

Application for EAD (Form I-765) can be filed concurrently along with I-485 or any time after that as long as I-485 application is pending. The following documents must accompany the form:

  • Fee of $410 payable by check or money order. $495, if paying together with biometrics ($85).
  • 2 passport photographs taken within 30 days of filing the application and as per the new guidelines.
  • Copies of both sides of your I-94 card.
  • Copies of both sides of your EAD if you already had one.

Depending on the service center, EAD approval may take a few weeks to a few months. Those who are secondary applicant and do not have a Social Security Number or are not allowed to work can apply for a Social Security Number after receiving the EAD Card.

Advance Parole (Travel Document)

The Advance Parole or Travel Document is used to apply for admission to the United States upon return from abroad without having to obtain a visa from a US Embassy or consulate. You must fill Form I-131 for Advance Parole. There is a non-refundable filling fee which can be paid by check or money order. Please see below for complete fee structure for Form I-131. This document is usually issued for the time it takes for the AoS application to be processed and is valid for multiple entries. Once your Advance Parole (Travel Document) application is approved, you will receive 2 copies of Form I-512. You must carry all 2 copies when you travel out of the US for the first time. One copy will be taken by the USCIS officer at the port of entry. The second copy is for you and should be used during all subsequent trips.

What Happens if Your 6-year Limit on H-1 Visa Expires During this Time?

Once you apply for AoS, your status is considered as “applicant for adjustment of status.” You can remain in the US even after your 6-year limit has expired until the I-485 process is completed. If you have not applied for AoS and your 6-year limit is reached, then you must apply for 1-year or 3-year extension of H-1 visa. Whether you are qualified to apply for H-1 extension will depend on the status of your employment-based green card application.

Can You Include Your Spouse and Children for AoS?

Yes, you can include your spouse and children aged less than 21 at the time of filing I-485 for Adjustment of Status. You must submit all the documents required for AoS for each dependent (except form G-28). In addition, you may need to file Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) for each dependent. Other documents may include:

  • Copy of passport with I-94
  • Copy of I-797 and H-4 visa
  • Copy of birth certificates
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Original bank statements
  • Passport photos as per new regulations

What are the New Requirements for Immigration Photographs?

The USCIS will now accept standard passport photographs where the subject is facing the camera. Applicants who submitted applications before September 1, 2004 will not need to make any changes, but new applicants will have to comply with the changed regulations. All photos must be identical. You can read the new regulations at the USCIS website. Visit the Department of State’s Guidelines for Photographs website to find out how you can take photos that meet the requirements at home.

Will You Have to Appear for an Interview?

Usually the interview is waived for most applicants. If you are called for an interview, it will be a formality. It is advisable to have your lawyer accompany you. The reason for the interview is to clarify any changes or corrections and to verify that all documents are correct. You may be asked to carry any documents that were missing or incorrect. You may be asked for tax records and pay stubs.

If your interview is waived (or if it is completed and you meet all requirements) you will receive an approval letter from the USCIS. You must go to the local USCIS service center with your passport and all I-94 and EAD cards. A temporary green card stamp (I-551) will be placed on your passport. This is an interim green card in case you need to travel out of the US. Within a few months, your green card will arrive in the mail – it is not green in color and looks more like a driver’s license or a credit card.

Fee Schedule for Form I-485

See the table below to determine your filing fee:

If You Are…Form FeeBiometric Services FeeTotal
Under 14 and filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent$750$0$750
Under 14 and not filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent$1,140$0$1,140
Age 14 – 78$1,140$85$1,225
Age 79 or older$1,140$0$1,140
Filing Form I-485 based on having been admitted to the United States as a refugee$0$0$0

Fee Structure for Form I-131


You do not need to pay an additional fee for Form I-131 if:
  • You are filing Form I-131 Application Type B or D;
  • You filed a Form I-485 with a fee on/after July 30, 2007; and
  • Your Form I-485 is still pending.
I am applying for a re-entry permit (Application Type A) and I am:Form FeeBiometric ServicesTotal
13 or younger$575$0$575
14 to 79$575$85$660
80 or older$575$0$575
I am applying for a refugee travel document (Application Types B and C) and I am:Form FeeBiometric ServicesTotal
13 or younger$105$0$105
14 or 15$105$85$190
16 to 79$135$85$220
80 or older$135$0$135
I am applying for an advance parole document (Application Types D, E, and F):Form FeeBiometric ServicesTotal
Advance Parole – Type D (pending I-Form I-485; pending Form I-821; or approved Form I-821D)$575$0$575
Advance Parole – Type E (humanitarian parole)$575$0$575
Advance Parole – Type F (humanitarian parole)$575$0$575

Sample Affidavits for Green Card

Recommended Links: Tips on How to Avoid RFE on I-485



Related Articles

Related Articles