You are scheduled to go for the H1 visa interview. You are wondering about the questions you may be asked. You are confused and you are skeptical. This is natural. To successfully complete the interview process, you must be prepared. While there are no standard questions during the interview, the line of questioning is somewhat similar in most H1B interviews.
The following list includes sample questions that you may be asked during the H1B Visa Interview. These questions have been compiled from the experiences of individuals as posted on the path2usa forum. You can treat this as first hand information.
Since each case is different, expect some variation in these questions during your interview. Read the following sample questions while preparing for the H1 visa interview.
Questions about your intent of obtaining the visa
- What is the purpose of your trip to the United States?
- Do you have any family in the United States?
- Why are you changing your job?
- Why do you want to work in the United States?
- Have you applied for a visa for any other country?
- Do you know what the living cost in the United States is? Do you know what the living cost is at the place you wish to work in the U.S.?
- When are you planning to travel?
- How will you survive for the first month?
- Have you been to any other country before? If yes, how long was your stay there?
- Will you come back to India?
- When will you return to India?
- Why would you want to return to India?
- Is it your first H1B or visa revalidation?
Questions about your education/experience
- Are you a student?
- From where did you graduate?
- What was your thesis about?
- What is the difference between PL/ SQL and SQL?
- Which software are you aware of?
- Have you worked with any/all the software you just mentioned? Please state your work experience.
- What courses did you complete here [Home Country]?
- Please show me your certificates.
- Can I see your educational certificates and experience letters?
- Tell me in detail about all the jobs and work experiences and profile.
- What's your highest educational qualification?
Questions about your current company
- How long have you been working?
- Where are you working currently?
- What is your current salary?
- What is your current role in the current company?
- Is it an Indian company you currently work for?
Questions about sponsoring company
- What is the name of the company you intend to work for in United States?
- Where are you going to work in United States?
- Why are you joining [New Company]?
- How do you know this is a real company?
- When did you receive your offer letter?
- What will you be working on there? Is it an internal project?
- I need a client letter describing your work project.
- Tell me what do you know about [New Company]?
- When was the UNITED STATES Company founded?
- Tell me about the project and the company (client) you will be working for?
- How did you find out about this company?
- How did you contact the [New Company]?
- What is the project you will be working on?
- What are your responsibilities and for which client are you going to be working for? Please explain in detail.
- Do you have any proof from your new employer regarding your responsibilities?
- Do you have any company photographs?
- How long has the company been in the current location?
- How many rounds of interviews has the U.S. Company conducted? Please describe these
- What is the name of your interviewer?
- Can you give me the dates of your interview?
- Who are the clients for your U.S. Company?
- What are the technologies you are working on?
- Who is the President/CEO of the U.S. Company?
- What kind of projects is the U.S. Company working on?
- What is the annual turnover of the company?
- How many employees does the U.S. Company have?
- What's your designation in [Previous Company] and what's your designation in the [New Company]?
- Will you be working from [New Company] office or client's place?
- Can I see the Employee petition to USCIS and the Tax Returns of the Company?
- What is the salary you will get in U.S.?
- How many rounds of interviews did the U.S. Company conduct?
- What kind of interview was conducted? Please reply in the format explained in this example: 4 rounds (2 technical, 1 HR, 1 manager interview)
- Can I see your client end letter and itinerary of services?
The list presented above may appear to be overwhelming. You will not be asked all these questions. Much depends on the discretion of the interviewing officer.
Essentially you are being asked about your work and education. You have to know yourself in order to succeed in the interview! Be confident and have all the paperwork with you and hopefully, your H1B interview will be a cakewalk!