Required Documents for Change of Name in Indian Passport
The documents listed below are the same as those required for re-issue of passport.
- CKGS Order Form
- Online Application Form
- Filled and signed Checklist
- Original Passport with a photocopy
- Nationality Verification Form
- 3 recent passport-sized color photographs. 8 in case the passport has expired for more than 3 years.
- Photocopies of the 1st five and last 2 pages of the passport
- Notarized photocopy of valid visa
Tips for filling the online application
- In the box Service Desired select “Re-issue of Passport.”
- Give the Surname, Given Name, or Middle Name as you would like them to appear in the new passport.
Additional documents and new procedure required for change in name
Some additional documents are required with the regular documents listed above to change name in a passport depending on the reason behind the change like divorce, remarriage, or death. For addition of name in the passport new procedure needs to be followed along with regular procedure.
Process/ Documents required for addition of name in the passport
In cases that require Change of Name (Addition of last name/change in first or middle name) without Divorce, Remarriage, or Death being the cause following procedure needs to be followed:
- The change requires to be advertised in 2 daily newspapers, one in USA and another in India. USA one needs to have circulation in applicant’s present residence and the India one needs to have circulation in the applicant’s permanent residence.
- The original newspaper clippings that are at least 30 days old showing the advertised date can be submitted as a supporting document to change name.
- A declaration of non-acquisition of foreign nationality by the applicant.
- Original and photocopies of immigration paper or landing record.
Documents required for deletion of name in the event of Divorce/Death:
- Notarized photocopy of the applicant’s proof of residence
- Notarized affidavit for change of name.
- Notarized copy of the divorce deed issued by the court.
- In order to delete the spouse’s name after divorce, divorce decree has to be obtained from Indian Court. Exception applies if a divorce decree is obtained from a foreign court and both the parties are present.
- A notarized consent of the opposite party is required if the divorce decree is awarded ex parte.
- In case of death, death certificate of the spouse is required.
Documents required for addition of name in the event of marriage/remarriage
- Original and Notarized photocopy of the applicant’s marriage certificate.
- Notarized photocopy of the 1st and last page of the Spouse’s passport.
- Notarized Joint Affidavit for change of name from maiden to married with a joint photograph.
- In case of remarriage after a previous divorce, a divorce deed related to the first spouse must be submitted. If the marriage took place in India then the divorce certificate has to be obtained from India.
- Notarized proof of valid visa.
- Notarized proof of residence.
Documents required for Split of name
- Notarized Sworn Affidavit is required giving old name (including surname and given name) and new name (surname and given name).
NoteThe Embassy/ Consulate has the right to ask for additional document and call the applicant for an interview if needed. Â Please check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction for the required information.
Fee for change in name in the passport:
Below is the fee structure and total for change of name in Indian passport. The fee is subject to change without prior notice.
|Service||Booklet||Consular Fee||ICWF Fee||BLS Service Charge||Total|
|Change of Name||Ordinary Booklet-36 pagesJumbo Booklet – 60 pages||$75.00$100.00||$ 3.00$3.00||$ 13.20$13.20||$91.20$116.20|
(Source: CKGS International Services Ltd)
NoteTatkaal Passport Service for Change in Name in Indian Passport is also available and the fee is different from the regular service.