A change of name on your Indian Passport will be required in the event of the following:
- Split name
- Addition of name
The process for changing your name on your passport is the same as applying for a re-issue of your passport. You must apply online. Paper forms are not acceptable.
Complete your application on the Indian Government website.
Required Documents for Change of Name in Indian Passport
The documents listed below are the same as those required for re-issue of passport.
- Government Application online form
- 2 photos, size 51mm x 51mm
- Current original Indian passport and copy
- Copies of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of your Indian passport
- Affidavit for change of appearance and signature (must be notarized)
- Annexure ‘E’
- Copy of your valid status in the US (must be notarized)
- Proof of address in the US (must be notarized)
- Fee payments and couriers
- Affidavit of name change (must be notarized)
View the full checklist of documents required here.
Tips for Filling an Online Application
- Be sure to select “Re-issue of Passport” as your service
- Include the Surname, Given Name, or Middle Name as you would like them to appear in the new passport
Additional Documents Required for Name Changes Unrelated to Marriage
Some additional documents are required with the documents listed above to change your name in a passport in the case of certain reasons unrelated to marriage behind your name change.
In cases that require name changes that are not related to marriage, re-marriage, or divorce, you will also need the following:
- Gazette notification of the state government concerned or clippings of two newspapers (One from India and the other from USA) regarding change of name.
- At least two public/school documents issued in the desired name.
NoteThe Embassy or Consulate has the right to ask for additional document and call the applicant for an interview if needed. Please check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction for the required information.
Fees for Indian Passport Name Change:
Below is the fee structure and total for change of name in Indian passport. The fee is subject to change without prior notice.
|Service||Booklet||Consular Fee||ICWF Fee||VFS Fee||Total|
|Change of Name (Re-issuance of Passport)||Ordinary Booklet||$75.00||$2.00||$15.90||$92.90|
|Change of Name (Re-issuance of Passport)||Jumbo Booklet||$100||$2.00||$15.90||$117.90|
(Source: VFS Global)
NoteTatkaal Passport Service for Change in Name in Indian Passport is also available and the fee is different from the regular service.