A Filled and Signed Checklist
This document checklist is an important document that will help you keep track of all the required documents needed for your passport application. Print the checklist, tick it, and arrange the application in the correct order before submitting the form in person or by post.
Online Application Form Filled and Signed by the Applicant
All applicants must fill out the Indian government’s online application form online. Print out the form after it is filed for your records.
Copy of the Filled Nationality Verification Form
A photograph needs to be attached to the Nationality Verification Form and normally, only one form is needed. An exception applies in the case of a lost/stolen/damaged passport and a passport application with an expired visa status. In such cases, 8 copies of the Nationality Verification Form are needed.
- Attach the original passport.
- If the passport is less than 5 years old, attach the previous passport too.
- Attach photocopies of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of the current passport.
2 photos of size 51mm x 51 mm (2 by 2 size) are required, preferably with a white background. Photographs must be identical.
Other important requirements include:
- Must be recently taken, within 6 months.
- Shoulders must be visible
- Without glasses
- Without flashlight reflection
- With colored shirt to distinguish against white background
For more information on photograph requirements, see here.
If you want your passport to be returned by mail, include a self-addressed USPS Express return envelope in your application form. You must include the correct VPS Global Application Centre.
For Postal Applicants
- Paste the shipping label emailed to you that has the tracking number and barcode on the outside front of the envelope in which you will send the documents to VFS.
- Include the Waybill/Tracking Number on the Return Envelope.
Indian Passport Application Fee
Applicable Fee that is non-refundable. See Indian Passport Application Fees section.
What do you need for travel medical insurance?
Notarized Documents Required for Indian Passport
Whether applying in person or via mail, all photocopies of supporting documents have to be notarized. Notarized copies of the following are required for Indian Passport application:
- Proof of Legal Status in the US
Applicants have to attach documents that prove their legal status in the US. Visitors or tourists who are in the US for a short stay cannot avail the passport services in the country. They have to apply for passport re-issue or renewal in India itself.
Applicants can attach a notarized color photocopy of current valid US visa such as H1B/ L1/ L2 Visa, Green Card, Employment Authorization card or I-797 approval notice documents, whichever is applicable. Student visa holders must attach the I-20 document.
- Proof of Residence in the US
You have to give proof of address given in your passport application. You can submit the following notarized copies as proof of residence:
- Notarized photocopy of the residential proof of the applicant such as Home Mortgage Bill, Utility bills, State ID, Driver’s License, or Rental Lease Agreement.
- For applicants above the age of 60 who do not have the above documents, a copy of State ID can be submitted.
- For minors proof of address of any of the legal guardians is accepted.
- Students who live in dorms or campus itself, a letter from their educational institution with the address and original letterhead can be submitted.
- In case the current passport does not include spouse’s name a notarized photocopy of the marriage certificate is required. A copy of the spouse’s passport or United States ID is also required in the application.
Some notarized affidavits need to be attached to your Indian Passport application for certain services. They are as follows:
- Annexure D – For Minors
- Affidavit for Change of Appearance & Signature
- Affidavit of Name Change, if applicable
Letters of Authority
Various letters are required, depending on the kind of passport service you require:
- A letter of authority is required from the applicant in case he or she chooses a representative to apply for the passport. Sample Letter of Authority. The same letter is required for minor’s passport in case one of the parents cannot be present in person.
- If the passport is expired for less than 6 months a self-explanation letter is required from the applicant explaining “why the passport was not renewed in required time frame.”
Some additional documents may be required depending on the service you require. Also check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction if more documents are required for your Indian passport application.