IMPORTANT NOTICEPIO Card scheme has been withdrawn and is now merged with OCI Card scheme. Applicants may only apply for an OCI Card.
After September 30, 2019 travelers to India have to have an OCI card in lieu of PIO card.
CKGS Online Order Form – Without the CKGS online order form the application will be deemed incomplete.
Additional Particular Form – Fill the Additional Particular Form and enclose the print out.
PIO Application Form – The PIO application form varies according to the jurisdiction. You must type and fill the form and take 2 printouts. After filling the form attach the photographs and sign the form.
Sample PIO Application Form: Click here
US Passport or non-Indian Passport – Copies of the following pages from the passport are required:
- Copy of the information page that has basic details and picture on the passport.
- Copy of the endorsement/ amendment pages. For US passport the pages are 22, 23, &24 (for passports that end with page 24) and pages 25, 26, & 27 (for passport that ends with page 28).
Signatures – There are 4 places in the application form where the applicant has to sign. If the children below 5 years are unable to sign, then they have to provide thumb impressions. The parents cannot sign for them. They have to sign in the assigned places for father and mother. Minor children who are able to sign should do so. Things to know about signature:
- The thumb impression or signature should be in the box provided. If it is outside the application will be rejected.
- The thumb impressions should be in blue or black ink.
- The applicant cannot sign and provide thumb impression together in the same box.
Photos for the PIO Application – 4 recent passport sized photos are required for the PIO application. They should be 2—2 inches, color, and front facing photos of the applicant. See photo requirements
Birth Certificate – For applicants born outside of India a copy (not original) of birth certificate that shows the name of the parents, nationality, and date of birth of the applicant is required.
Copy of Naturalization Certificate – Naturalization certificate are required as part of the documents for the PIO form.
- If the applicant is a former Indian National or not born in the US a copy of Naturalization certificate is required.
- If the applicant obtained more than one nationality after Indian citizenship then he or she must provide Naturalization certificates or proof of nationalities from those countries.
- If the minor applicant has no naturalization certificate because he or she gained naturalization through the parents, copies of parents’ naturalization certificates and notarized written statement stating how naturalization was acquired by the minor without having naturalization certificate are required.
- The US Naturalization certificate should name “Former Nationality” as India. Certificates that state “Country of Birth” as India are not accepted.
Parents Proof of Origin – If the applicants do not have Indian Passport and are applying on the basis that their parents or grandparents were Indian Nationals then the following documents need to be enclosed:
- Copy of proof of parents’ current and previous nationality.
- Birth Certificate: If the PIO is being applied on the basis of parents’ nationality, the birth certificate of the applicant in which the parents name is given is required. If the PIO is based on the grandparents Indian Nationality, the birth certificate of both the parents and the applicant’s are required. In addition, prorvide any of the following that is applicable:
- Copies of both parent/ grandparents domicile certificate issued by a competent authority.
- Copies of the first 3 and last 2 pages of both parents’/ grandparents’ passport.
- Copy of the parents’ PIO/OCI card.
- Any other document that proves the Indian citizenship of the parents/grandparents passport such as notarized copy of school certificate or land ownership certificate. The decision to accept these documents as proof of citizenship is dependent on the consular officer.
Proof of Indian Citizenship – If the applicant has been an Indian Citizen in the past, then copies of the first 3 and last 2 pages of the Indian Passport are required.
Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship – You can send the renunciation documents and fees along with the application instead of getting the surrender certificate first. Read more…
Documents required from Spouse if married – If the applicant is applying for PIO based on the fact that his or her spouse is an Indian Citizen then following documents are required:
Mandatory documents required are:
- Copy of the marriage certificate and the marriage has to be more than one year old.
- If the spouse is a non-US passport holder then copy of his or her visa status is required.
In addition, any one of the following documents is required from the spouse:
- Copy of the spouse’s original Indian passport and proof of renunciation.
- Copy of the spouse’s original PIO card.
Proof of Address – The proof of address should match the address given in the application form and the address given in the prepaid envelope. You can submit photocopies of:
- A state ID like Drivers License. Do not cut the photocopy to reduce its the size. Keep the original size of the regular paper.
- A major utility bill like Gas, Water, or Electric bill.
- Proof of address of both the parents and legal guardian can be submitted as proof of address for minors.
- College/University students living on campus can get a letter from their university or educational institution with the letterhead and address on it.
- Exceptions: Items like credit card statement, phone bill, address with a P.O. box, and cell phone bills are not accepted as valid proof of address.
Name Change Documentation – Name change is applicable for former Indian Nationals. If the name in the US passport is different from the name in the Indian Passport or Indian government-issued documents, then one of the following documents is required:
- Official court order for Name Change.
- Marriage Certificate proving the name change if the name was changed after marriage.
- Name change as a result of Naturalization.
Proof of legal status in the US – Do not send the original proof of legal status like visa or green card to BLS.
- If you are a non-US citizen applying for your children then you must provide the proof of Visa/ Green Card by attaching a photocopy of those documents.
- If you are a non-US citizen then you must provide a copy of permanent resident card or green card (both the sides)/EAD/ H1, H4, L1/L2, J1/J2, F1/F2 etc.
Change of address in India – If the address in India as given in the application form is different from the one in the Indian passport a proof of new address in India is required.
Prepaid return envelope – The envelope is for the documents to be sent back to you after the PIO application is processed. Even though you may choose to pick the application in person it is always a good idea to submit a prepaid return envelope with the application.
Depending on the jurisdiction some additional documents may be required. Please make a final check of the documents and photocopies required before submitting those to BLS.