US Passport Renewal – Everything You Need to Know

If your US passport has expired or is about to expire, you should apply for a passport renewal. A Passport with a minimum of six-month validity is required for travel to many countries. You can renew your passport by mail or in person, but you may only renew by mail if all of the following apply to you.
HomeNRI CornerUS Passport Renewal – Everything You Need to Know

Your US passport:

  • Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
  • Was issued in the last 15 years; and
  • Was issued in your current name, or you are able to provide a legal document of name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply for a passport renewal in person.

Before Applying for US Passport Renewal

Before you begin the process of renewing your passport, be aware that:

  • All minors age 15 below and must apply in person using Form DS-11, whether or not they have ever held a US passport in the past. They have to be accompanied by their parents.
  • Anyone who currently holds or has ever held a US passport book and is eligible to use Form DS-82 may apply for a passport card by mail.
  • Applicants will receive their old passport back in mail after renewal.
  • Applicants who are behind in child support payments may not be able to get a passport.

Getting your passport renewed means a trip is on the horizon.

Always travel with travel medical insurance for peace of mind.

How to Apply for US Passport Renewal by Mail

The general process for renewing US passport by mail is as follows.

1 Complete Form DS-82, Application for a US Passport by Mail
 You can either print the form and complete by hand, or complete online.

2 Submit most recent US passport book and/or card.
You must submit this with Form DS-82. Keep in mind that your most recent passport book/card must:

  • Have been issued when you were age 16 or older; and
  • Was issued within the past 15 years.

3 If your name has changed, submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order.
This is only required for applicants whose name is different from the one that appears on their most recent US passport.

4 Pay passport fees.
The passport fees are as follows.

What are you renewing?Fee (USD)
Adult Passport Book & Card$140
Adult Passport Book$110
Adult Passport Card (if you currently hold a valid Passport Book or Card)$30

5 Submit photos.
Attach your passport photo to Form DS-82, keeping in mind:

  • Staple your photo to your application by using 4 staples vertically in the corner close to the outer edges.
  • Do not bend your photo.

6 Mail your application.
This only applies to applicants residing in the US.

For routine service, (If you live in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX)
mail to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155

Routine Service (If you live in any other state or Canada):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

For expedited service, write “EXPEDITE” clearly on the outside of the envelope and
mail to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Outside the United States:
Please contact your U.S. Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents, since processes vary.



Related Articles

Related Articles