Since the PIO OCI merger that took effect January 9, 2015, the PIO card scheme no longer exists and current PIO cardholders may apply for an OCI in lieu of PIO card. All PIO card holders are to apply for an OCI card by 31st December, 2017.
NOTE: The deadline to apply for OCI in lieu of PIO card is 31st December, 2017. This is the last day to apply. After this date requesting for a OCI card will incur a fee. However, September 30, 2019 is a hard stop after which PIO cards will be deemed invalid.
All US and non-US passport holders of Indian origin who do not have a PIO card and:
- Were eligible to become a citizen of India on or after January 26, 1950.
- Were citizens of India on or after January 26, 1950.
- Belonged to a territory that became a part of India after August 15, 1947.
- Are a child or grandchild of a person who meets any of the above listed criteria.
Those who are not eligible include:
- Non-US passport holders who hold a temporary visa (such as a B1 or B2 visa)
- Anyone who has ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh
OCI in Lieu of PIO Application
September 30, 2019 is the last day applicants may apply for an OCI in lieu of PIO Card.
The OCI in lieu of PIO card application process is as follows.
1. Identify your CKGS Application Center.
- Find the list of CKGS Application Centers.
- Identify your center by clicking View more details and find your state listed under Jurisdiction. This is the center where you must submit your application.
2. Prepare Application File.
- File Parts A & B of the Government of India form for OCI Application at Online OCI Services.
- Once you complete and submit Part A of the application, you will be directed to Part B.
- Print out Part A and Part B for submission.
3. Gather All Required Supporting Documents.
- See Required Documents below for complete details.
4. Pay Fees.
- Payments must be made separately for each applicant.
- See Fees below for more details.
5. Submit Application. You may submit your application by one of the following two methods.
- Send by Post/Courier. Use the following format to mark your package:
- Attn To: OCI in lieu of PIO card
CKGS Application Centre
City, State, Zip Code
- Submit in Person. If you live near a CKGS Application Center, you may submit your application by walk in.
- Book an appointment at your CKGS Application Center.
- Submit the application in person at the CKGS Application Center on your appointment date.
OCI in Lieu of PIO Required Documents
OCI applicants who have ever held an Indian passport must provide proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship along with their application. Those who already have a Renunciation Certificate or have a Cancelled on Acquisition of Foreign Citizenship stamp on their most recent Indian passport do not need to re-apply.
In addition to proof of Indian citizenship renunciation, OCI card applicants must provide the following documents.
- 2 printed sets of the OCI Card Checklist with boxes ticked against the required documents
- All documents mentioned under the Checklist
Additional documents may be required by the Consulate or Embassy once the application is verified.
All forms and letters enclosed with the OCI card application must be typed. All forms required by the Checklist must be printed and signed. Signatures must be in the applicants personal handwriting.
If an application is missing any documents as per the Checklist, it will be treated as incomplete and processing will be put on hold.
OCI in Lieu of PIO Fees
The consular fee for OCI card in lieu of PIO card is Gratis. The fees breakdown is detailed in the table below. The fees shown are in USD.
CKGS Service Fee
OCI in lieu of PIO Card
|OCI in lieu of PIO Card (for Lost PIO Card)||$100||$3||$17||$120|
The 17 USD CKGS Processing Service Fee is non-refundable, and non-US passport holders will be charged an additional 20 USD Reference Fee.
Applicants from New York must pay an additional 25 USD Consular fee if they have had a Name Change or Change in Nationality since their PIO card was first issued.
The following payment methods may be used to pay the OCI in lieu of PIO card fees.
- Debit or credit card (non-refundable 3% fee will apply)
- Demand draft, money order, cashiers check, or bankers check made out to Cox & Kings Global Services USA LLC
Fees that are not paid in full may result in processing delays.
An authorized CKGS representative will contact you if any documents are missing from your application. CKGS is not responsible for delays that occur as a result of missing documents or incomplete applications.
Once verified, CKGS will submit your application to the Embassy or Consulate for your jurisdiction.
OCI application processing time takes 8 to 10 weeks.
You may track your application by:
- Entering the Tracking ID on https://www.in.ckgs.us/trackandtrace/.
- Entering the Passport Number and Online Registration Number or File Number on http://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury.
Processed documents will be returned via Fedex if you have paid for the return courier service through CKGS. You may also opt to collect your processed documents in person from your CKGS Visa Application Center after you receive an email notification.
For more information, visit the CKGS website for further details about the OCI in lieu of PIO card process.