Minors require a passport of their own. Their name can no longer be included in the name of parent's passport. Passport of the minor is valid for 5 years from the date of issue or until the age of 18, whichever comes first. The process of applying for minor's passport is the same as applying for re-issue of passport.
Important Facts to Know about Minor's Passport:
- If the child is between the age of 17 and 18 a normal passport with the usual fee and validity will be issued.
- Both the parents have to be present at the time of application. In case one parent is unable to attend, an authority or consent letter from the absent parent should be presented. The letter should authorize the other parent to apply for the child's passport.
- An application for change of appearance is required every time the passport is renewed.
Documents Required for Renewal / Reissue Indian Passport for Minors:
- BLS order form
- Online Application Form
- Filled and signed Checklist
- 3 copies of Nationality Verification Form/Personal Particulars form and 3 photos for the personal particular form.
- 3 recent passport-sized color photographs.
- Notarized photocopy of the current visa of the minor child.
- Registration of birth at the Indian Embassy if the child is born in the US.
- Page 4 of the application form has to be notarized and the applicant has to sign in both boxes for Serial No. 29.
Documents Required from Parent of the Minor:
In addition there are certain documents needed from parents too to apply for a minor's passport:
- Notarized photocopy of the 1st and last page of both the parents. If any one of the parent is deceased, notarized photocopy of the death certificate is required. If parents are divorced, notarized copies of the divorce decree and custodianship papers of the court are required.
- Notarized photocopy of the proof of residence of the parents.
- Notarized photocopy of the current visa of the parents. If the visa of the minor child or any parent has expired, or they have the receipt notice for extension on the visa, a notarized no status affidavit along with notarized photocopies of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses are required. 7 Copies of Nationality Verification Form are also required. Each copy must have an original photograph affixed on it. This is only for New York, San Francisco, and Houston applicants. Washington, Atlanta, Houston, and Chicago applicants must go to the consulate in person for an interview before applying at their respective passport application center.
- Notarized affidavit is required from the parents (Page 1&2).
- If the child's name is endorsed in the parent's passport then original passport of that parent is required. In such a case, the passport for the minor will be issued only after his or her name has been deleted from the parent's passport.
- A notarized no objection letter of authority from the parent who is unable to attend the appointment.
Note: Some additional documents may be required. Please check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction for the required information.
Indian Passport Renewal Fees for Minors:
Below is the fee structure and total for Passport for minors. The fee is subject to change without prior notice.
VFS Global Service Charge
Application Fee for children below 14 years of age
|Application Fee for children above 14 years of age||$75.00||$3.00||$13.20||$91.20|
(Source: VFS Global Services Ltd)
Note: Tatkaal Service for Minors Passport is also available and the fee is different from the regular service.