The US consulates across India expect the US visa applicants to follow strict security measures while visiting the consulate facilities.Â All the visits are made through appointments only. There are no information windows for walk-in visitors at the consulates and embassies due to security reasons. Remember, only the visa applicant is allowed to enter the consulate, so the consulate recommends the applicant not to bring many relatives to the embassy as it the place becomes crowded. The consulate advises to find a baby-sitter for the children of the applicants who are applicants themselves.
A thorough security check of the applicant will be conducted by the security personnel at the consulate / embassy and OFC'S.Â The consulate strictly recommends to carry your application documents in an unsealed plastic bag. There are certain items that are prohibited. There is no facility of lockers provided outside any of the consulate and OFC'S. Below is the list of prohibited items, not to carry before you go for the appointment at OFC or the consulate.
- 1. Electronic Items: No battery-operated items like Tablets, mobile phones, music players,Â bluetooth devices, laptop, digital diaries, digital watches, cameras, CDs, flash drives, memory sticks, radios and remote car keys (fob keys) are not allowed.
- 2. Food & Drinks: No food items are allowed.Â Even sealed and ready-made bag of snacks like chips are not allowed in the facility. No beverages of any kind like water and sodas are allowed. Water will be available inside the facility.
- 3. Bags: Big bags, large shoulder bags for ladies, suitcases, briefcases, purses, diaper bags etc are not allowed.
- 4. Sealed envelope or packages: No sealed envelopes or packages are allowed inside the embassy. You will be only allowed to carry the sealed medical report in case you are applying for immigration visas.
- 5. Flammable Items: No flammable materials like lighters, cigarettes, matchboxes, cigars etc are allowed.
- 6. Tools: No sharp tools of any kind like pen knives, scissors, nail-cutters, Swiss army knives, nail files etc are allowed.
- 7. Weapons: No weapons or explosive materials are allowed.
- 8. Umbrella: Large umbrellas are not allowed inside the consulate. Only 1 foot long umbrellas are allowed.
- 9. Personal care: Perfumes, colognes, body powders, toiletries are not allowed as well.
This is not an exhaustive list. Other items can be prohibited at the discretion of security staff at the US Consulate.