Citizenship Application Status of Electronically Filed Applications. Applications and Cases Filed or Processed at a Service Center
Online: If you e-filed an application or petition and have your receipt number, or filed an application with a USCIS Service Center and have a receipt. Please have your receipt number ready. The service center receipts have three letters and ten numbers. You can find the status of your case through Case Status Service Online. This service provides you (and your representative) access to case status for applications you submitted to the USCIS Service Centers. This site provides around the clock and immediate access to this case status information.
Calling: You may obtain case status by calling 1 (800) 375-5283, and following the automated instructions. Please have your receipt number ready.
Writing: While calling can be more convenient, you may instead choose to request an update by writing the Service or Benefits Center where your case is pending. Specific information about the centers can be found under USCIS Field Offices.
If you write, please provide the following in your letter:
- Your current name and address, and, if different, your name as it appears on your application
- Any A-number, which is an 8 or 9 digit number following the letter "A", assigned to you or to your application
- Your date of birth
- The date and place where your application was filed
- Any receipt number from any receipt notice issued by INS or USCIS for your application
- A copy of the most recent notice sent to you by INS or USCIS on your case, if you have received one
- The date and office where you were fingerprinted and where you were interviewed, if this has been done.
- If you filed electronically, include a copy of your Confirmation Receipt notice.
Sign your request, or, if you are preparing the request for the applicant, have him or her sign the request. Please mark your envelope: ATTN: Status Inquiry. Please send your inquiry to the address listed in the "About Us" section of the USCIS Field Office pages.
Application Status That Was Filed at a Local USCIS Office
Calling: If your application is pending for longer than the processing time projected on your receipt, and you have not recently received any type of notice or update from the USCIS, you can call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 for information. When you call, please have your A-number, any receipt number issued to you after the USCIS received your application, and the last notice you received about your case. NCSC Customer Service Representatives use information provided by each local office to answer questions about case status and processing times.
Writing or visiting the USCIS Office: While calling can be more convenient, you may instead choose to request an update by writing or going to your local USCIS office. Information about the offices, and about each office's address, directions, hours and local procedures, can be found under USCIS Field Offices.