What is a Business Visa or B1 Visa?

People who want to visit USA for certain kinds of "business" related travel can apply for Business visa known as B-1 visitor visa .
HomeUS Visa & ImmigrationWhat is a Business Visa or B1 Visa?

The definition of “business” under immigration law is limited to :

  • The term “business” is limited to the negotiation of business contracts.
  • Consultation with business associates, litigation.
  • Participation in scientific, educational, professional or business meetings, conventions, conferences or seminars and other legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature.

The length of business visa can be few days to 10yrs multiple entry. The actual stay of each visit is given at the port of entry while you enter into USA. Generally each visit can not be more then 6 months.

All visitor visa applicants require to be interviewed by a US Consulate, before being granted a visa. Applicant need to appear in person for the Interview at consulate. A prior appointment is must for this purpose.

Note: Citizens of certain countries may not require Business Visa, if the trip is less than 90 days. This is known as the Visa Waiver Program.

Qualifying For Visitor Business B1 visa?

Applicant must demonstrate that :

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

What you ought to know about B-1 visa:

  • Business visa (B-1) is meant for business purpose only. Legally, you are not allowed to work in the USA as a B-1 visa holder.
  • You are allowed to rent an apartment on B-1 visa. You might be required to show a recommendation letter from your company, and proof of your identity (i.e. your passport).
  • You may open a bank account by showing proof of your identity (passport).
  • You can get the ATM or debit card, from the bank in which you have opened your account, but not a credit card. Though most places ATM card can be used.
  • You can rent a car, only if you have a valid driving license from your country (IDP or State Driving License). However, some US states insist on having a IDP (International Driving Permit).
  • Initially you can drive in any US state on your International Driving Permit (IDP) or State driving license, for a limited period of time. Rules vary from state to state. Confirm this from your local DMV office.
  • You can not t join any educational institute on B-1 visa.
  • You can get a telephone/ cable connection installed in your apartment.
  • B-1 visa can be extended for the maximum of total 1 year stay in USA.
  • You are not liable to pay any taxes on your allowances, since it is not a salary.


Related Articles

Related Articles