When you apply for an H4 visa renewal and meet certain criteria, you can get your renewal stamped in your passport without having to attend an in-person visa interview. This is called Dropbox Stamping, or a US Visa Interview Waiver.
If you are eligible for a US Visa Interview Waiver, or dropbox, you may submit your H4 visa application documents to a designated dropbox location if you already have a visa in the same class that is valid, or expired within the last 12 months. However, in order to take advantage of the dropbox option, you will still have to make an appointment and arrive at the dropbox location only on the appointed day, time, and location.
How To Determine If H4 Visa Holders Are Eligible For Dropbox Facility
When making an online appointment to be able to drop your visa extension application, you will be asked to answer a series of questions that determine if you qualify for Dropbox:
- I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply
- My most recent visa was issued in India
- My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
- My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
- I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
- If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
If you answer in the affirmative for all of the above questions, you will be allowed to avail of the Dropbox facility and get an interview waiver.
H4 Visa Tips Get Everything Right
Eligibility Confirmation: If eligible, you will get Dropbox notification that acts as a confirmation. You should print this and keep a copy for submission later.
3-Step Dropbox Appointment Process For H4 Visa Holders
- DS-160: Fill out Form DS-160 in its entirety. Print and save two copies of your DS-160 confirmation page.
- Online Account: In order to proceed to the next step, create an online account with the US Consulate. This helps in scheduling visa interviews and inserting a local address to send the visa to, should it get approved.
Important: This is where you register an account
- Pay Fees: You can submit your fees through the following –
- National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT)
- Mobile Payments – IMPS
- Cash – Over the Counter at DRUK Bank
- Cash – Over the Counter (AXIS Bank and Citibank)
Schedule OFC Appointment: Once payment is made, schedule your dropbox appointment and identify location.
Once confirmed, print 2 copies of your appointment confirmation letter.
Required Document List For H4 Visa Holders
- DS-160 confirmation page
- Copy of the interview waiver letter generated at the time of booking the appointment
- Copy of the H4 Visa Stamp on the passport
- Copy of currently approved H1B of primary beneficiary
- Copy of previous H1-B approvals, if any
- Copy of my primary beneficiary’s H1-B Visa stamp
- Passport photo (this can be taken at the Dropbox location as well, for a fee)
If all goes well, and you do not receive a 221G slip for further administrative processing, you will have your passport with a newly stamped H4 visa delivered to the address noted on the DS-160.
To check US Visa Dropbox appointment availability India, please check the US Embassy & Consulate in India website.