The following are some sample questions that can be asked at the H4 Visa Interview. These questions are compiled from experiences shared by people on our discussion forums. Since each case is different, you must prepare accordingly. There is bound to be variations in the line of questioning during your interview. However, there are some questions that are almost always asked during the interview. The series varies with each case.
Being prepared for your interview is the best way to ensure it goes smoothly overall. Use this list of H4 visa interview questions only as a guideline to understand what you may be asked.
Questions About the H4 and H1B Visa
- What type/kind of visa are you applying for?
- When did your husband/wife get his/her stamping?
- Why do you need a visa to go to the US?
- Why did you not come with your spouse for the interview?
- Why did you not leave with your spouse or why are you coming today for visa when you got married earlier (or on so and so date)?
- Who filed the visa application and where did you file it?
- Who made the interview appointment?
- How did you receive the documents?
- I see that you have been rejected earlier, do you know why? (possible question, if you have been rejected before)
Questions About Your Marriage
- When did you get married or what is your date of marriage?
- Did you have an arranged or love marriage?
- When did you meet your spouse for the first time?
- How did you meet your spouse?
- Who arranged this marriage or how did you get this proposal?
- Where did you get married?
- Is your marriage registered?
- Can I see some wedding photographs?
Questions About You
- Where are you staying currently?
- Who are you staying with?
- Where will you stay in US?
- Who will bear the expenses while you are in US or who will financially support you in the US?
- Who will pay for your trip to the US?
- Do any of your relatives/friends live in US?
Questions About Your H1B Spouse
- What is your spouse’s date of birth?
- Which university did your spouse graduate from?
- What is your spouse’s highest degree?
- Which company does your spouse work for?
- Who is sponsoring in your spouse’s H1?
- Where is their employer located?
- Where are their clients located?
- What kind of work does your spouse do at the US company?
- How long has your spouse been in US?
- How long has your spouse been working for the sponsoring company?
- What will you do after your visa is completed/expired?
- How much are they earning or what is the pay of your spouse or what is the annual income of your spouse?
- Can I see some pay stubs from your spouse’s paycheck?
- Can I have a look at your spouse’s bank statements?
- Have your spouse applied for green card?
- Can you please show me your tax returns, bank statements, play slips, etc.?
- Keep a copy of all your documents.
- Answer all questions clearly and honestly during the interview.
- Do not stumble on words or look nervous. Do not double talk. The interviewer will immediately know that you are misrepresenting information.
- Upon receiving your visa, carefully check for any kind of mistakes like name, date of birth, type of visa, validity date, etc.
If you want to learn more about the H4 visa process, please read more information on our website here.