L1 Visa Extension or Renewal

L1 visa extensions may be granted to L1 visa holders who have reached their stay in the US on L1 visa status. L1 employees can stay and work in the US for up to five years or seven years with extensions, depending on their L1 visa category. Applicants may be allowed L1 visa extensions of up to two years at a time until they have been in the US for seven years, for L1A employees, and five years, for L1B employees.
HomeUS Visa & ImmigrationL1 Visa Extension or Renewal

Both L1A and L1B visa holders may apply for an L1 visa renewal or extension. Applications for L1A or L1B visa extensions should be submitted before the visa expiration date noted on Form I-94.

L1 Visa Extension or Renewal Process

To extend or renew L1 visa status, your US employer must file Form I-129 before the date on your Form I-94 expires. Visit a US Embassy or Consulate to extend your visa, bringing the following documents:

  • Form I-129, completed by US employer
  • Prior L1 status
  • Form I-94
  • L1 visa
  • Pay stubs
  • Confirmation Form W-2 that shows are employed with the L1 employer
  • An extension support letter signed by the employer explain to USCIS the conditions of your employment and reason for your stay in the US

For L2 visa holders including spouses and children, the L1 workers employer must complete Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, which should be submitted to USCIS along with the L1 applicants Form I-129.

For specific details regarding your case, you should contact your immigration attorney.

L1 Visa Change of Status

To move into a managerial or executive position, you can file for Change of Status from L1B to L1A visa status. The petition for Change of Status must be approved at least 6 months before the L-1 employee reaches the 5-year maximum for L-1B status.

Only your employer can apply for Change of Status on your behalf. Your company or employer must file a new Form I-129 to submit to USCIS along with all other required documents. The petition must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the expiration date of your current I-94.

L1 Visa Change of Status: L1 to H1B Transfer

L1 visa holders may be able to change their visa status from L1 to H1B by obtaining an H1B visa sponsoring job with a US company. L1 visa holders cannot apply for H1B visa status; only a qualifying US company can apply for H-1B visa status on behalf of the employee.

For more information about visa extensions, visit USA Visitor Visa Extension.


CompareRemit - Exploit the all-time-high USD-INR Rates! Send Money Now!

Related Articles

Related Articles